PDA

View Full Version : My 2013 Maple Syrup Taste Report

PerryW
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Mar 6-12 - 30 gallons of Ultra light fancy, good for bragging and blending but looks too much like corn syrup for the table.

Mar 25-27 After 2 weeks of frozen solid, 20 gallons of very light Fancy. Taste described as buttery, butterscotch, cotton candy. Great tasting and novel but not as Mapley and not any vanilla taste.

Mar 28-31 - 35 gallons of good tasting Fancy! This is the stuff my light amber customers like! Light flavor, moderate mapley taste, moderate vanilla after taste. Not the bast Fancy I've ever made, but definitely good.

Apr 1-5 gallons of transition syrup. Dropped like a rock from light thrugh medium to low end Dark Amber in one 5 gal batch.

April 2-April 6 - 15 gallons of Dark Amber - Very Mapley (tastes like good Grade B). This will be great syrup for my Dark Amber Customers, loads of flavor and still no late-season off-flavors.

The grade was threatening to pop back into Medium alsthough the taste still was a Dark Amber Taste. I'm now at 113 gallons (whic exceeded my goal) and 20 degrees this morning! Trees have been tapped 5 weeks today, still some season left if the temps. cooperate.