PDA

View Full Version : Biggest day so far this year.

maple flats
04-05-2013, 10:00 PM
The sap finally started running fairly good yesterday and then today was my best day ever. I collected 2240 gal on 1250 taps, and one tank isn't empty yet. It would be nice if this lasted for 10 days, but I think the end might be near. The forecast indicates I should have good sap tomorrow and Sunday, then maybe a fair day on Monday and a little less Tues. Tues might be the end. While my buds are still good and tight, the forecast shows no freeze from Monday on, for the next 10 days. This late in the year I think the buds map open with that and temps in the 50's and 60's for 10 days.

PerryW
04-05-2013, 10:31 PM
sounds like our trees are on the same schedule. Yesterday and today they ran the best so far. Just about every bucket was 3/4 full at 3 pm and I gathered at 8:30 PM last night.

My 10 day weather also sounds the same as yours, but just yesterday they were predicting 70's next and now it's 50's with a couple lows around 27..

hounder
04-05-2013, 10:52 PM
We had our best day also. Sap was only 2%- been 2 1/2 on average but we got 1300 gallons. It was the most sugarsand ever. Looked like mud and made our first medium. Hit over 250 gallons. Tomorrow should be just as good, but then it calls for warm nights for the next week. Will wait a few days and see for sure because we need medium and dark. Health food store is waiting on B but I don't think we will get it. Its been a fun year. Came to the sugarhouse the next day after shutting down a week ago to find 2 burnt spots and the rest of the pan was rock candy, had the tractor slide off the hill loaded (thank god for the farmy winch on our big tractor!) Was going to get a new front pan for next year if we made it the whole season with out burning but that didn't happen :evil:

MillbrookMaple
04-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Ditto here.

3800 collected today and about 900 still in the tank. Supposed to be around 15 tonight so it should be a good day tomorrow once it warms up. It's still up in the air about Monday night for here. Forecast is 33 so it could go either way. After that I think the trees will bud before another freeze.

maple flats
04-06-2013, 06:19 AM
My grandson, who hauled all my sap yesterday, said there was likely about 350-400 gal more in the tank that didn't get hauled. He'll be hauling all day again today. The sap won't start running again until about 11:00-noon today. It fell to 26 at my house, and is likely 3-4 degrees colder up in the hills where my taps are. Yesterday, the sap was not all from yesterday. I had maybe 600 gal trapped in my tank that is 900' from the road and the transfer line was still frozen. I've got to redesign that before next year and make it easier to drain that line. The woods warm up and start running long before the transfer line does. It runs through a cold ravine, which is the only route I have permission to use from my lease across a neighboring property.

highlandcattle
04-06-2013, 07:10 AM
YEAH!! We had a busy day yesterday too! Even with the problems of the sap locking up in the line(new wet/dry this summer) it was running down nice and steady. Fix our problem this summer next year should be best ever. Nice when friends stop by to"help". I fed the guys a nice carrot cake for birthddays. Cold a.m. here and high winds. Ron will start boiling soon and then time to turn on the pump. Moving a big bale of hay out to the pasture for the critters.

Michael Greer
04-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Sounds the same here in St. Lawrence County. We had buckets overflowing Thursday, and a good run all day Friday. The buckets are frozen this morning (Saturday) so we'll have to wait a bit before gathering. We're beginning to see a few holes drying out, but they were tapped five weeks ago, so what do we expect. This may be the end of it anyway. Altogether it has been a good season, and we did as well as we did two years ago in 2011.

Angela Rust
04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Michael, We're having a similar experience in Harrisville, likening this year to 2011. 2012 was bad for us. This season was fraught with problems, but we have decent amounts to show for them all. It was definitely an expensive season for us! We live in SLC and sugar in Hville.

Adk sugar bush
04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Same here. Can't keep up. Being in the Adirondack hills, I'm always jealous of the folks boiling in February, but we're going strong and they've packed it in. Guess all evens out.