PDA

View Full Version : Oil tanK evaporator

Wood burn
04-05-2013, 09:31 PM
I am currently putting together a oil tank evaporater for next season. What is the safest why to cut into the tank without blowing myself up. Any information asfor the design would be graetly appreciated . I am looking for feedback as to what has worked best for people who have built these type of evaporaters in the past .

psparr
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Just put a little water in it. Fuel oil won't explode. You'd even have a hard time making it burn with a blow torch. Needs to be atomized to burn good. A grinder with a cut wheel or a sawzall will work.

Here's a couple of pics of mine I made for this year. Works great. Used the top half to extend it to a 2x6. 7694769576967697

psparr
04-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Also. I used 2" angle where the pan sits. Most oil tanks are 27" wide. That only gave me 1/2" bearing for the pan, but its enough. More fire under the pan means more evaporation.

Wood burn
04-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info what is the gph on a unit like this ?

psparr
04-06-2013, 06:56 AM
They say rule of thumb is one gallon per square ft. But I am getting at least 16. Have even gotten around 20 when I was feeding it right.

Indiana-Jones
04-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I am currently putting together a oil tank evaporater for next season. What is the safest why to cut into the tank without blowing myself up. Any information asfor the design would be graetly appreciated . I am looking for feedback as to what has worked best for people who have built these type of evaporaters in the past .

Cutting the tank. I read here of someone filling it with exhaust from their ATV to drive out the oxygen. That seems like a good way to preclude a big surprise.

Wood Burn, check out my photo bucket. I built a fuel tank rig a couple of years ago. While I was building it I had the thought that it would have been easier to build a arch following a set of plans and building with angle iron. There are no plans for a tank arch, so building one is sort of a best guess. I spent a lot of time looking at it scratching my head.

But, I'm happy with the out come. A couple of things that I learned is, air over fire is worth the effort and you must insulate.

Lots of luck.

wino
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
The best way to cut the tank is to use a saws-all with a new metal blade. Will only take a few minutes to cut the tank in half.
Wino