PDA

View Full Version : A&A Metal Shop in Ulysses Pa.

capesap
04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
i have pretty much decided on a 2x6 drop flue from A&A in Pa. Now I would like some feed back from those who are familiar with their evaporators and other equip. Any opinions one way or the other. Any issues with soldered joints? Thanks for any feedback, Bob :)

Waynehere
04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Sorry I can't help you with their evaporators, but I saw their mailboxes of a sugar house and fell in love with it. I drove a little over an hour after writing a letter to him to confirm he still had one on the shelf. Real nice fella to talk to. He did show me a 2x6 he had made up and the pans looked great.

Good luck...

Springfield Acer
04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I have a 2 x 6 raised flue and used it for the first time this year all season. I have run 3500 gal of sap thru it. I have their preheater and hood and added ofa and ufa. When it is clean, I can boil 50 gph. I scorched the front pan once because I forgot to open the valve between the pans. I actually melted some solder but it has never leaked. I recommend them.

heus
04-04-2013, 06:00 AM
For the price you cant beat it. I have made 218 gallons on my 2.5x10 so far this season. It makes just as nice syrup as any other rig. The floats and connections are a little on the cheap side but they still work. I would also recommend them.

highlandcattle
04-04-2013, 06:55 AM
What's the chance you have a pic of the mailbox and evaporators? Con tact info. for this place? Thank you

Paddymountain
04-04-2013, 07:10 AM
I have A&A pans on my arch and they work well. I have slightly scorched the front pan several times, I'm not sure if it's me or the pan. I never did with my old Leader pan.
that being said ,they are well worth the price for the hobby/small producer.

heus
04-04-2013, 07:12 AM
What's the chance you have a pic of the mailbox and evaporators? Con tact info. for this place? Thank you
I dont have a pic of his mailbox. If you do a search on here using the words amish evaporator there are several threads which contain his address. No phone number.

buck3m
04-04-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm very pleased with it. A very basic setup and nothing fancy about it. Does a good job at a great price. I don't use a hood, preheater or blower. Mine "cruises" at about 38 gph and can do 40+. No issues, leaks or scorching.

Wish I had bought one years ago. I think they are an outstanding value.

Waynehere
04-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Here is mine. Sorry. I thought I had attached it earlier....7688

charliek
04-04-2013, 04:16 PM
do you mind telling me how much he is charging for pans? i was looking at getting a 3' x 7' raised flue pan made. thanks

happy thoughts
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Maybe this will help. I bookmarked this page that someone posted a few weeks ago in another thread. Sorry, I forgot who, so can't credit them. If I ever upgrade I'll be looking into them as they are not that far away from me. Prices look very reasonable. And the mailbox is just TOO cute! :)

http://dailyhike.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/a-a-metal-shop-ulysses-pa/

capesap
04-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks to all for your info. Looks like agood rig for a reasonable price. I'm looking at right around 3k for a 2x6 drop flue with airtight doors, preheater and extra chimney pipe and roof jack. Springfield Acer what is "ofa" and "ufa" ??

Springfield Acer
04-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks to all for your info. Looks like agood rig for a reasonable price. I'm looking at right around 3k for a 2x6 drop flue with airtight doors, preheater and extra chimney pipe and roof jack. Springfield Acer what is "ofa" and "ufa" ??

Over Fire Air & Under Fire Air

umpwood1
04-04-2013, 08:26 PM
I purchased a 2 x 6 from A&A this year. It rates up there with the best purchases I ever made. The only problem is contacting. They can call you, but you can't call them. But they do call you back, if you write them.

David in MI
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I purchased a 2 x 6 from A&A this year. It rates up there with the best purchases I ever made. The only problem is contacting. They can call you, but you can't call them. But they do call you back, if you write them.

Have you calculated your evaporation rate? If you have, I'd be interested in knowing.

holbrook hill farm
04-19-2013, 11:13 AM
what was your evaporation rate on the 2.5x10 and what did you use for heat source and how long?

holbrook hill farm
04-19-2013, 11:17 AM
what was your evaporation rate and did you use a blower? what about heat source and how long was your wood?

holbrook hill farm
04-19-2013, 11:20 AM
what was your evaporation rate and what did you use for heat source and how long?