PDA

View Full Version : test boil for how long?

hfitch
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm boiling the last of my sap tomorrow. I pulled off a couple cups and brought it into the house to boil and make sure it's ok. My question is, how long do I have to boil it before it smells bad (if it is bad, that is)?? I've been boiling for a 1/2 hour now and I can't smell anything yet, like I'm boiling water. Hoping for a quick reply :)

hfitch
04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
it boiled down far enough that I could smell the strong, sweet maple flavor I was hoping to smell. Want to leave this thread though in case another noob has the same question.

lpakiz
04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
In 2 different year ends, I boiled down a sample of a few quarts in the kitchen. I tasted and smelled frequently, I could not smell or taste anything bad until the syrup was almost done. One small taste near the end and I couldn't get to the sink fast enough to spit. So in my experience anyway, you need to take it down pretty far to find a problem. My 2 cents worth.

PerryW
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
it goes quicker to use all 4 burners on the stove and combine pots as liquid levels get too low. You can have an ounce of syrup in less than an hour.