PDA

View Full Version : End of the season finishing with two pan evap

MapleME
04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Im curious what to do at the end of the season when all of the sap is out of my storage tanks, and in the back pan. Before it gets too low, do I pull it all and do the last few hours on the finisher? OR, keep the syrup pan going with water in the back pan? I have plenty of wood, so I could do that VS the propane finisher, just trying to figure out what best practice is.

Russell Lampron
04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Im curious what to do at the end of the season when all of the sap is out of my storage tanks, and in the back pan. Before it gets too low, do I pull it all and do the last few hours on the finisher? OR, keep the syrup pan going with water in the back pan? I have plenty of wood, so I could do that VS the propane finisher, just trying to figure out what best practice is.

I have done it both ways and find that I make lighter syrup if I finish it in the finisher.

BoarsNest
04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I typically finish it on the driveway at home on propane. My sugar shack is an hour away and people see my test bucket on the maple tree in my yard all spring so this gives them a chance to see me sugar'in and maybe even snare a few sales in the process.

Big_Eddy
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
When the head tank gets close to empty on my last boil, I let the fire die down and cool off until I can siphon the sap out of the flue pan into a stainless pail. Then refill the head tank and flue pan with water. Relight and add the concentrated sap from the pail into the front pan as needed until it's all syrup.

Gives me a final rinse through of the tank, lines, float box and flue pan with water and ensures I get every drop of syrup out.