PDA

View Full Version : Back after 20 years

groomer_guy
04-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi everyone,
It has been 20 years since I first made maple syrup on an old wood stove in the barn yard. So my wife and I figured we would make syrup this year. I was just a young boy back in 93' and the boiling process was very slow. Now we have a 2'x2' stainless flat pan on cement block with a smokestack on the back for better draft. So far our best sap boiling rate has been around 3 gallons/hour. The finished product has been light amber. Our sap has been running fairly well so far this season. We are higher in elevation so it started later than down town. My wife had no experience making maple syrup but now I think she has caught the maple syrup bug. Hopefully the rest of the season goes as good as the beginning.

Revi
04-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Welcome back to the maple world! I think the rest of the season is going to be up until this weekend for us, but maybe up high you'll keep going longer than us in the piedmont. We are at around 500 feet in elevation in Central Maine and it's going to be the end of the season this weekend. It's been 6 weeks now for us, and that's about normal.

PerryW
04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
It's just like riding a bicycle!

groomer_guy
04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Welcome back to the maple world! I think the rest of the season is going to be up until this weekend for us, but maybe up high you'll keep going longer than us in the piedmont. We are at around 500 feet in elevation in Central Maine and it's going to be the end of the season this weekend. It's been 6 weeks now for us, and that's about normal.
We are in week 4 in the hill towns of north western Mass. We are at 2150 feet in elevation in our particular section of Savoy. I am already planning expansion and a sugar house in next couple of years.

whalems
04-03-2013, 08:33 PM
We are in week 4 in the hill towns of north western Mass. We are at 2150 feet in elevation in our particular section of Savoy. I am already planning expansion and a sugar house in next couple of years.

And thats how it starts...