PDA

View Full Version : mechanical releaser

01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
I am thinking of buying a mechanical releaser to replace my electrical releaser. Any experieces on either one good or bad. Thanks

nysugarmaker
01-30-2004, 04:43 PM
We have a GILLES BERNARD MECHANICAL From WATERLOO/SMALL. It works great!! I guess the difference would be #1 if you have electric or not. #2 with a mech. you need to have it dump into the tank verses pumping, ie; need to have mainline above the tank, some setups that is a problem. also freezing is not a big issue with mech since there is not any sap left in it to freeze, not sure about the elec. ones though, never used one. (we dont have elec. in the sugarbush YET). Good luck, Dan

mapleman3
01-30-2004, 05:01 PM
is there a problem with the electric releaser? are you selling it? how much?

powerdub
01-31-2004, 03:07 PM
I also have a Gilles Bernard double verticle and I have had no trouble with it at all. It will take any amount of vacuum you can give it.

howden86
02-02-2004, 09:13 PM
is there any daily maintainance or any tricks I can know ahead of timeor are they pretty much idiot proof.

Thanks

powerdub
02-03-2004, 04:43 PM
I lube the parts that move with some food grade silicone spray once or twice through the season but other than that I let it run. Pretty much idiot proof. Just clean it up real good at the end of the year.

mapleman3
02-24-2004, 08:40 AM
So... what does happen in an electric when the sap freezes? I may buy one since they are a few hundred cheaper and I can have my mainline lower than the tank.

mapleman3
03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Well I made the plunge today and ordered an electric releaser should be here tomorrow or Wed., I'll have power there for the Vac. I will try pumping it to the sugarhouse tank instead of to the holding tank next to it and pumping the tank up to the sugarhouse, one less step. they only had a 36" instead of the 24" tall one, a few extra buck but may be good to hold more sap and pump less, I should be ok with it not freezing it will be in a small pump house shelter, and I'll drain back the line to the sugarhouse when it's real cold at night.