PDA

View Full Version : RO membrane housing plumbing-ss housing clamp style

Diesel Pro
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
So if I understand this correctly this is how it gets plumbed:

On the inlet end (bottom in my case) we feed the side port and plug the other (I'll have drain valves on both low ports on mine)

On the discharge end (top in my case) we exit the concentrate (brine) through the side and the permeate then comes out the center port.

The sap basically just travels freely through the center until it hits the needle valve which is used to build the pressure.

The membrane (xle 4040) has a flared seal on one end only. This would face down in my case to seal. I haven't attempted yet, but can I top load the membrane or will this seal grab/roll on me?

Assuming there are supposed to be orings on the OD of the ss housing end caps? Looks like mine are missing. Only oring seals to the membrane center port.

Jeff E
04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
What kind of RO is it that you are working with?
Trying to get a handling on what you are working with and what the issue(s) might be.

Diesel Pro
04-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Home build using XLE4040 membrabe in SS housing.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
my home built has to plugs, one each end, they both have two o-rings on each and my membrane has one o-ring on feed side, I use food grade grease to very lightly coat them when installing.
my end plugs have one center hole and one offset. The center hole is permeate and off set is concentrate. I have two in parallel feed both offset holes on one end and plug center, on the other end offset holes go into flow gauge and each permeate has its own flow gauge.

Teuchtar
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
DieselPro
When loading from the top, be careful not to curl up that oring for the center spigot on the bottom end. Its awful easy to do, and a little wrinkle sure does leak a lot of sugar into the permeate.
The perimeter cup seal needs a good smear of food grade grease to help it into the vessel.
"The sap basically just travels freely through the center", actually sap goes up the side port (halfway out the radius). I think this is what you meant.
Permeate takes the center port, and doesn't want any restriction. Just flow it to your permeate tank or throw it on the ground.
And those stinkin vee-band clamps really need to be adjusted, and seated, snugged up, checked, and reseated. The new style this year blow off much easier than the older type. My caps blew off twice already because I didn't have them perfectly seated with the clamp bolts bottomed out.
Yes, there are two o-rings on the end caps. Old style had one.

Diesel Pro
04-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Thank you That's what I was looking for. Feed the side port and concntrate (brine) also exits side port.

I might actually pull the permeate out the bottom center port and feed up to flow meter for simplicity of plumbing.

Thanks for the tips on the clamps. Probably want to ring them around a bit with a mallet to seat and secure. A single piece t-bolt style would really be nice. They pull very tight.

Diesel Pro
04-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Thank you That's what I was looking for. Feed the side port and concntrate (brine) also exits side port.

I might actually pull the permeate out the bottom center port and feed up to flow meter for simplicity of plumbing.

Thanks for the tips on the clamps. Probably want to ring them around a bit with a mallet to seat and secure. A single piece t-bolt style would really be nice. They pull very tight.

Diesel Pro
04-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Any good suggestions for food grade grease that's not $200+?

markct
04-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I use a grease called superlube it is H1 rated for food contact, a tub of it was about 25 bucks, and i pack it into a small grease gun for the filter press and use it for my o rings etc on the ro and evaporator

wiam
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Vegetable shortening will work.