PDA

View Full Version : what the best way to store maple candy for the long term?

grimmreaper
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Have alot of candy made,and want to know the best way store so the candy will keep the longest .I know only make what you need......

BrianL
04-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Out of reach

grimmreaper
04-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Yeah,no kidding....lol...I guess I forgot that it would get ate before I sell it or before it goes bad

BrianL
04-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Sorry that I was not much help but with 8 grandchildren and a major sweet tooth myself, we have not had any go stale

wiam
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Best way is to crystal coat it. I do not Nd have good luck keeping it in a sealed container in the freezer.

grimmreaper
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
What was the problems when put in the freezer

maplwrks
04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Short term storage in an air tight container is OK but if you are lookin for long term storage, I would consider vauum sealing it. You can get freezer burn by storing too long in Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers.

grimmreaper
04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Vacuum sealed sounds the like the way I should go..have anyone have any issues when vacuum sealed and froze? I want to sugar coat but I don't want to screw up what I made.I have had issues sugar coating.

maplwrks
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
When you remove the candy from the freezer, remove them from the bag and spread out on a cookie sheet to allow them to thaw and dry out.

grimmreaper
04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
The vacuum sealer sounded to good to be true.I tried it and ended up with a three pound brick ...don't do it

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
The vacuum sealer sounded to good to be true.I tried it and ended up with a three pound brick ...don't do it

So sorry to hear that you squished your candy into a block. I wish I had been able to help you before that happened. You never want to vacuum seal anything that is delicate without putting it into a container that will act as some protection. When I seal things like meringues, cookies, tarts, etc., I place them in a tin or Tupperware-type container, do not place the lid on the container. Slide the container into the vacuum sealing bag and then remove the air in the bag until it creates a little inverted dome over the top of the container. You will absolutely want to stop the sealer manually at this point and hit the seal button. If you let the sealer go by itself until it has taken all of the air out of the bag it will crush and mangle your container and the contents.

I have a million tricks for vacuum sealing everything from delicate baked goods to pre-made fruit pie inserts to home-made packets of shampoo and conditioner for travel. If you have any questions at all, please ask. :)

Amber Gold
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I tried vacuum sealing last year, and broken a lot of pieces in the process. This year, we're making our final batch until the holiday season. It doesn't sell well enough in the off season for us to carry it and deal with the loss.

I hadn't thought about putting them in a pie shell....good idea.

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Uhm... did I unknowingly make it sound like I suggested putting them in a pie shell?.... Sorry if I did. The sides wouldn't be high enough on a pie plate to protect your candy. Also, because the sides are rounded, the candy would slide up the sides of the pie plate as the suction increased while vacuum sealing. Use containers that have straight sides and are narrow enough to fit inside the vacuum bag.

Sorry if I led you astray Amber Gold.:confused:

wiam
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Best way is to crystal coat it. I do not Nd have good luck keeping it in a sealed container in the freezer.

I meant to say that I have had good luck in a sealed bag in the freezer