PDA

View Full Version : New arch firebrick and insulation questions

Ekrueger
04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I am planning to build my own arch. I have 1” thick ceramic insulation. I plan to cover it with firebrick for protection of the insulation. I have a few questions:
1. Are the arch sides angled so the firebrick doesn’t fall into the firebox(self supporting)?
2. Is it a concern that the insulation is not rigid so the bricks can move some (maybe cause the cement to crack)?
3. Where do you normally use the ½ bricks and full bricks? Why use one or the other?
4. Is it necessary to cover all of the insulation or only in the firebox to prevent wood from damaging the insulation?

TerryEspo
04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey EK...

I built my first arch this year. Kinda had some of the same questions you have.

Here is my input from what I learned and using my arch.

I too have 1" ceramic blanket, that is on the inside wall of the firebox and all around the ramp area. Firebick is only in the firebox, I dont have all bricks up and around the ramp. That insulation is all dirty and sooty, but no bricks, insulation is fine.

Full or half brick is budget and space you have inside your arch. Personally if you have the space and budget, use full bricks.

I intended to cement my bricks,,,, but sap came before I cemented and my bricks dont fall over into the firebox. My sides are not angled but that is something you can do, and I may design angled sides for next arch build. I do take a minor bit of care tossing wood inside as to not hammer the bricks.

I hope that helps and good luck with the build,,,,we love pics all thru the build so keep us posted.

Terry