PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

jow
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi Guys Newbie here

My son and I have the maple bug bad and would like to ramp up our rate of boil for next year.We currently tap 55 trees(large sugar maples)
I like the idea of doing batches,I farm full time and find it nice to fill up a pan and then go work and check on it periodically.We currently use propane as we heat our chicken barns with it and thinking if I could build or purchase a decent size batch boiler that burns propane I think that would be the easiest.(we wont rule out wood but really like the idea of propane).
We are boiling with a couple small flat pans on turkey fryers now.
Possibly ramp up to 75 taps for next year.
Any ideas or anyone know a company that makes a propane batch boiler and care to share that would be great

Thanks

325abn
04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Never leave the pan unattended! Things can change very quickly in the pan.

jow
04-02-2013, 07:11 PM
So when there is 30 gallons of cold sap in evap I sit with it ?

jow
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I forgot to say I could attend it when it's close to syrup

TerryEspo
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi JOW:

I would say you could walk away with 30 gallons, but get to know your rig before walking away.

Now, 30 gallons at once is not the best way to boil. All say to be boiling 1"-2" at most and have new sap coming in replacing what your losing in steam.
Try to maintain your 1-2 inches of boiling sap.

I will flood my pan with 5 inches if I gotta walk away for a bit, let the fire relax, but only if needed, not often.

I will never leave the pan if I have had a boil going for awhile and the sap is changing colour towards syrup, its just risky business.

I dont know any companies that make propane arches but some people here have them that they made. A propane burning unit should be pretty easy to fabricate if your a tad handy.

Good luck.

Terry

psparr
04-02-2013, 07:48 PM

I made a float for my pans. If you don't mind paying for the fuel you could run deep and add the float to maintain level. Still not full proof but might give you some peace of mind. I often let mine run while I collect and watch three kids under 6.

teedo757
04-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I am a newbie (first year) just wondering why you only boil a few inches away at a time. Why not fill up your pot and just let it boil off a few gallons at a time?

termolly
04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
teedo757 If you only have a few inches in the pan it will boil off faster

CampHamp
04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
The Maple Guys sell a Lapierre propane evaporator (not a batch-boiler, though). See Here (http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?item=242&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapleguys.com%2Findex.php%3Fp age%3D1%26category%3D27)

Wonder if you could just put a pan on something like this camp stove: See Here (http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Burner-Propne-Stove-Black/dp/B0006VORDY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1364953370&sr=8-10&keywords=camp+stove)

Pressure makes water vapor re-condensate (turn back to liquid). Deep liquid means high pressure on the steam at the bottom of your pan.

PerryW
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
there was a guy who used to slow cook sap on his wood stove last year on this site. as I recall, he claimed made some decent syrup this way. I see know reason why you can fill up a flat pan rig (with a big firebox), stuff it with larger than normal size wood and leave it for an hour. Just come back, add some sap and let her rip for another hour. I would get nervous leaving a flue pan is it might boil over.

Anther option would be to get an oversize evaporator; for example buy a 2x8 evaporator with a flue pan for 75 taps. That way you could get your boiling done in a couple hours. The only downside is cost; though evaporators will hold their value.

Trout Brook Maple
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM

This setup made 5 1/2 gallons this year, and I quit 10 days ago. It is not very efficient.

There are some pictures on here somewhere of a very nice homemade propane batch evaporator, using steamtable pans. With firebircks and all, it should be much more efficient than this. That one is my inspiration for the future.