PDA

View Full Version : Gas usage in turkey fryer

BrianL
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I see that a lot of folks use a turkey fryer, or multiples for the main production. I am wondering what the gas consumption has been to do this. I have done one batch, 1/2 gallon yield, this way and do all of my finishing this way (since the boil over on the kitchen stove ) but never in any volume. So how bad is this, consumption wise per gallon?

Run Forest Run!
04-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Brian. I've been keeping really good track of my propane consumption for the past two seasons. It has been a pretty constant two 20lb tanks/gallon of syrup. I get my tanks filled at Costco and am currently paying $11.99 per tank. With taxes, each gallon of syrup costs me $27. I know that's not the cheapest or fastest way to make syrup, but I'm afraid to make things too much easier or cheaper because then I'd never know when to quit! ;) On the plus side for me, propane is very convenient.

PapaSmiff
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I experienced about the same propane consumption as Karen - about 1/2 Gallon per tank. I filled two tanks, three times this season. Got about three gallons - including finishing and making some candy. I make candy on the kitchen stove when my wife's not around. But otherwise, I do it on the fryer burner.

But propane is much more expensive near me. It's $17.99 per 20# refill at the local Ace Hardware store. The local Costco doesn't refill propane, I don't think. I will definately need to find a cheaper source for propane, or get one of those larger tanks.

jnmartin
04-02-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm preheating on the electric kitchen stove which does boil off some between refills. Using 1 propane fish fryer I've made 6 1/2 gal of syrup and used 3 20# bottles @ $10.50 ea and 1 100# bottle @$60.00. Propane is costing $2.29/gal here. Who knows what having a large electric burner on high for 15-16 hrs/day is gonna cost me.

So it's about $14.00/gallon for propane plus electricity. I thought that was terribly expensive but I spoze I'm not fairing too bad.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I spent a LOT on Propane....I get it at Tractor supply for $2.49 per gallon. I was running 3 or 4 turkey fryers at a time though to get through my 360+ gallons of sap...ended up with 5 gallons of syrup. So i bet it cost me more than Karen's price. Next year I will be keeping track of that bit of information too, so i can get a cost per gallon for me.

Run Forest Run!
04-02-2013, 03:06 PM
I spent a LOT on Propane....I get it at Tractor supply for $2.49 per gallon. I was running 3 or 4 turkey fryers at a time though to get through my 360+ gallons of sap...ended up with 5 gallons of syrup. So i bet it cost me more than Karen's price. Next year I will be keeping track of that bit of information too, so i can get a cost per gallon for me.

I suppose we would all be well advised to remember that the amount of propane that we use to make a gallon of syrup will vary depending on the sugar content of our sap. SmellsLikeSyrupNH, no wonder you are spending more on propane that I do. Getting 5 gallons of syrup from 360 gallons of sap is BRUTAL! That's 72:1! Are you sure that's right?? My figure of 1 tank per 1/2 gallon of syrup has been based on boiling sap that has, so far, always above 2% sugar.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Yes,
Unfortunately I am right :-( I got just a bit below 5 gallons of syrup and I kept track of all my gallons of sap...well that is if 5 gallon buckets are actually 5 gallons LOL I used those to collect every day and that was what I based my measurement on. I dont know exactly what kind of maples I have on the property, but I will find out this spring once i get leaves back on them. It was my 1st season so I went and tapped without really knowing anything about them other than the fact that they were maples.