PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to put a few buckets out today

lisound
04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
My big trees are "Bleeding" as my father in law stated this weekend.
I feel the need to collect that and boil it off...but resisting the urge.

markct
04-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Thats why i always wait a week after it apears we are done before i start pulling taps!

PerryW
04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I sure hate to drive by the sugarbush after pulling the taps and see big wet spots from all the holes in the maples.

psparr
04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I pulled half my taps three weeks ago. I can only get there to boil on the weekends and the weather warmed up and spoiled most sap. INACuweather said warm the next two weeks. Went up the following weekend to pull the rest and had more good sap with half my buckets than I had all season with all of them.

Lesson here, don't trust the weatherman.

hodorskib
04-02-2013, 08:05 PM
My trees are down near Black Rock Pond which is still frozen over and I figure I could have made another 5 gallons since Friday when I pulled the taps. With that said I will take a little remorse about pulling early in exchange for a fantastic season like we had this year in CT. No regrets after making a gallon of syrup for every 3 taps. Everything is washed and put away.

lisound
04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
well said hodorskib!

markct
04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
The last week or so has been off flavored syrup, so on a smaller scale probably not worth boiling, altho i did make over $2,000 of bulk commercial and b grade that i wasnt happy with the flavor of, so glad i kept the taps in a little longer.