PDA

View Full Version : New evaporator build for 2014

Kacey small scale maple
04-02-2013, 10:13 AM
I was trying to plan this out, I have plans to build an arch to fit a 2x4 pan. The plan is to weld together an angle iron frame and weld thin sheet metal on the outside and then fully brick the whole thing anybody now where I could get a fair priced or even a dented or second Hand pan? I have a sugar shack to put it in but no steam hood I was thinking of putting in a cupola over the pan would that be ok? How high up shoul the arch be from the pan 2-3 inches or so? He many taps could I handle on a 2x4? I love making syrup an would like to sell some eventually what size for the firebrick if I use the thinner furnace sheet metal. Thanks for any input,

Kacey

PerryW
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes, I use a cupola and the steam get out just fine. 2-3 inches sounds good between the fire brick in the back half of the pan. You will need between 12 and 18 inches between the grates and the pan for the firebox area, then ramp up to 2-3 in the back part of the pan. I'm guessing a 6-8 inch stack 8 feet high.

50 taps will give you 50-75 gallons of sap per average run and the rig will probably boil 10 GPH, so a 5 to 7.5 hour boil seem doable.

If you want any more taps than 50, I would suggest a flue pan in back. It will at least double your boiling rate.

Kacey small scale maple
04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I was planning on trying to get a raised flue pan does it matter what type raised, v's,drop, or drop tube? I have ten feet of pipe any good designs for sugar shack cupolas. I got the angle iron free but am going to have to get the thin sheet metal any idea how much that cost I don't think there's a whe lot of sheet metal involved

PerryW
04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I like a raised flue, but a raised flue design requires two floats since the pans run at different levels. The drop flue is good, but you have to watch out you don't damage the flues by hitting them with wood with you fire it.

The drop tube looks like a good idea, but looks like you would have to top the pan upside down to drain it.

To me, angle iron and sheet metal would seem like a pain to build. If your evaporator is in a fixed location, I would consider building it with comcrete blocks.

You build it just like a block wall with coredblocks and use solid blocks along the top. FIll it with sand and line the sides w/ firebrick. I think the blocks are around $2 each. You could also run a couple rows of blocks, then switch to red bricks for the top part (since they are narrower)