PDA

View Full Version : This could be the last week for us in Central Maine.

Revi
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
We are planning on pulling our taps next Saturday, and according to Accuweather it may be perfect timing. They show only one mild freeze in the long range forecast. Meanwhile this week looks good with frosts every night and temps in the 40's and 50's. We are going to make a lot of syrup this week! Then it can be spring! Here's a preview:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/answer-for-when-will-spring-fi/9256085

Maple Ridge
04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I pulled my tubing and buckets yesterday. I have one batch of syrup in my syrup pan I plan to finish off tonight. I would not have a chance to boil again till this weekend and the sap will not last that long in my tanks at the temps up coming. I am making real dark but good syrup now, but for me, time to clean up and say good by for the season. It is always hard to call it a season. I made 23 gal and plan to do about 1.5 more tonight.

Revi
04-02-2013, 07:26 AM
We've made about the same, but we're going to keep going until this weekend and pull the taps.

JuniperHillSugar
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
We have decided to call it a season. 25 gallons meets our yearly goal, so altogether a good year. We need to clean up and plan for upgrading the operation a little for next year. We really could use a better preheater.

Revi
04-03-2013, 07:22 AM
The long range says that it's supposed to warm up next week, but I could be wrong. If I am please don't rub it in as you get mass quantities of sap and make mega syrup.

Rrwws
04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I saw on here somebody else is making really dark syrup, min is almost black its so dark and no light shines through it, but it tastes great. On a side note. I have two buckets on one tree and one of the buckets, the sap is really really golden and the other the sap is clear. Its fresh sap too. Any thoughts on this??

Revi
04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
That's strange. Usually yellow sap means rain got in the bucket.

TheMapleMoose
04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
We're still boiling up here in northern Aroostook. 220 gals so far and hoping for 5 more days. Color is dark but a long way to go before its extra dark. ( can change fast) looks like maybe this weekend may be close to the end but as long as we're getting good flavor well keep on rollin