PDA

View Full Version : Cooking outside and protecting from flying and falling debris

Diesel Pro
04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm cooking outside and wondering if I should look at adding some sort of screen to the top of my pans or not? It seems like it would make good sense, but then agian woul dthe screen just condense and cause it to "rain" in my pans?

Revi
04-01-2013, 12:23 PM
You could make a small roof and put a stack on the boiler. Then you would be halfway to a sugarhouse, but still outside.

Asthepotthickens
04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm cooking outside and wondering if I should look at adding some sort of screen to the top of my pans or not? It seems like it would make good sense, but then agian woul dthe screen just condense and cause it to "rain" in my pans?

The first year I boiled out side I make a shelter that surrounded us and the stove without a roof. Blocked the wind

harrison6jd
04-01-2013, 03:36 PM
i have used plywood for 4' walls to block wind and a portable canopy that you take to the beach. somewhat protected but still lets the steam out. good for rain protection also. inexpensive and very mobile in case you move the cooker next year.

motowbrowne
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
we cooked outside for a long time. Now we have a roof, but still no walls. I would not try putting a screen over the pans while I was boiling, unless of course it was stainless. I wouldn't worry too much about debris, you are boiling this stuff and filtering it at least a couple of times. We used to put some metal roofing over our pans when we were done cooking at night, with the front lifted higher than the back so the condensation would run off the roofing instead of back into the pan. I would be worried about doing that with anything other than stainless nowadays, though.

ryan

wnybassman
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I made a cover for my pan and only keep it covered between boils, just to keep rain/snow/critters out. When boiling the sky is my roof, but sometimes my roof leaks rain or snow! I have been thinking about a roof for about a decade. lol

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/newpancover.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/2010firstboil2.jpg