PDA

View Full Version : Critique my setup and process

Diesel Pro
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I have a WesFab 24x48 evaporator with 2 pans. One is 2x3 and the other is 2x1.

I was told that the small pan would best serev me as a semi-finishing pan. Being new to this I figured it would be best as a pre heater pan. What I did was fill the small pan near full and drew sap from it to manually feed the main pan. At times the small pan was boiling as well so there was very little slow down. When I was out of sap I dumped the small tank into the large tank and put water in the small tank and put back in place and started wiping it out. In the end I had processed about 70 gallons sap and ended up with a strong 2.5 gallons (maybe 1/2" deep) in the big pan. When we had had enough for the day, we pulled the main pan to saw horses and drained the semi finished product to take home for finishing. Tested my semi finished and it is at 56.6 brix. Big pan back to the fire with water in and a quick wipe out and ready to go.

Now to the turkey fryer...

So should I set up a preheat pan and try to work the small pan as a semi finisher, or stick with what I have going now?

I do plan to build a homemade RO to cut back on the cooking time.

PerryW
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Gererally when you have a big flat pan and a small flat pan, you keep adding sap the the big pan and dipper from the big pan into the small pan. This way syrup will develop in the small pan and; since the pan is smaller, you can get closer to syrup without running too shallow. However, if your small pan doesn't boil as well as the big one, I would keep doing it the way you are now.