PDA

View Full Version : Carboys for transporting semi finished product

Diesel Pro
04-01-2013, 08:37 AM
I need to transport my semi finished product from my Cabin home so I can finish and bottle where it's more convenient. I bought some poly Carboy barrel type tanks, but find it's really tough to get these to empty. So somethoing with a neck would be ideal. First thought was a glass carboy. Lots of options out there. Thinking a couple of 3 gallon units would be ideal. Question is glass or try the Better Boy PET (plastic) units?

http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-1284-3-gallon-better-bottle-carboy.aspx?gclid=CMLO6r3IqbYCFcc-MgodADAAGA

http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-195-3-gallon-glass-carboy.aspx

TerryEspo
04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Just my opinion but it seems pricey for a plastic jug.

You know whats best for you so you will decide, but there has to be a cheaper way to transport almost syrup. If its cooled off, why not a food grade 5 gallon pail ?

Good luck with your choice.

Terry

happy thoughts
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
I'd say go with food grade pails, too. Cheaper and easier to clean. Home Depot had food grade pails and lids earlier in the year. Lowes just had food grade pails but no lids as I remember. You can also get pails at a bakery, often free if you ask nice, but there may not be enough time to clean them up and get the pie filling smell out of them. That said, I use 5 gallon plastic water jugs for sap collection if you still want to go that route. Easy to pour but takes a little more effort to clean.

Old School
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I pour out of the pan into SS pot to cool, then into a 5 gal plastic primary used for making beer & wine. Later I can finish the syrup, or just thow yeast into it and wait for it to ferment...:)

Diesel Pro
04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Pails, lids, pouring? Lids are a PITA to remove and pails just don't pour worth a darn.

I'm going to stop by a brew shop and check out the 3 and 5 gallon carboys. Leaning towards 2-3 of the 3 gallon "Better Boy" PET units.

markct
04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Are the plastic carboys rated for the temp of pouring hot syrup in them? If not they can leave a plasticy taste in your syrup