PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen peroxide tote

minn
04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Would a tote that had hydrogen peroxide in be acceptable for sap after a thorough cleaning?

happy thoughts
04-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Hmmm... not really sure. I suppose if you could get the smell out completely it should be OK as long as the container it was in is food grade. If the peroxide was for non-food or non-medical use then a non-food grade container may have been used for it. If there's still a label on the tote you could try calling the manufacturer.

mapleack
04-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Even if safe I wouldn't. I tell people "if you wouldn't drink a glass of what was in it, don't put sap in it." Someday when I'm king, *funny I know* I will make it law that every cage tote not containing a food product shall have an embossed black skull and cross bones on all four sides.

cncaboose
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Personally I don't think it would be a problem. The peroxide is water soluble and has no discernable smell. People will likely jump all over me for this, but I use 2 peroxide udder wash totes 275 gallons for sap. I figured that if it is safe to wash a cow's udder before she is milked where traces will wind up in the milk, it is safe to put sap in after it is well cleaned. Sap has been perfect and syrup is as good as ever.

bowhunter
04-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Peroxide residue should not be any problem. Peroxide is commonly used as a disinfectant. It's a strong oxidizer and decomposes to oxygen and water.

PerryW
04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Even if safe I wouldn't. I tell people "if you wouldn't drink a glass of what was in it, don't put sap in it." Someday when I'm king, *funny I know* I will make it law that every cage tote not containing a food product shall have an embossed black skull and cross bones on all four sides.

Even drums containing drinkable products are not necessarily good for sap. Years ago, I bought a couple blue 50 gallon plastic drums which contained cherry syrup. Supposedly they were steam cleaned. Also, I filled then with water & bleach solution and let them soak, rinsed well and the sap still tasted like cherry!