PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 gal NHMP jugs

chuck
04-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Last year I started selling 1/2 gal at customers request. Up to that point it was plastic quarts,pints and glass. I filled them the same way as the other plastic jugs: heated to 180-190, filled, capped and layed on their side for a few minutes. The result was that one side would flatten or become indented. Not a pretty sight. So this year, after hearing from some experts at a couple of seminars this off season that you dont have to lay the jugs on their side to sterilize & seal the top, I kept the filled jugs standing, not touching of course, to cool. My first couple of batches earlier in the season were fine, no issues. Then I filled a bunch this weekend, using the same process and everything seemed fine. But I went back down to the sugar house the next morning and every jug that I filled had an indent or flat side. VERY frustrating. I'd like to blame it on the jugs but where some have turned out fine and this is only my second year using them, it is probably something I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.