PDA

View Full Version : Draw at shutdown

Z/MAN
03-31-2013, 08:48 PM
What do you do when it is time for a draw and you already have all or just about all your sap in the pan? When it is shut down time and you have it planned to cool down with just enough sap left for next startup. It seems I always work my way up to 7 at just about the same time I run out of sap!

PerryW
03-31-2013, 09:12 PM
If you can't get that last takeoff before you run out of sap, you will get it the next time you fire up.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-31-2013, 09:25 PM
every time just again tonight I killed the blowers and let it simmer, will be B when I draw off

Diesel Pro
04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Right, wrong, or otherwise when we were finished we lifted the pan off and set on saw horses that were canted to bias towards the drain.

Same with the flue pan. When the tanks were empty and the flue pan boiling I pulled it and dumped into the main pan. I then filled the flue pan with water. It's just too hard to stop the cook quickly and I sure don't want to scorch.

ennismaple
04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Before we're out of sap I force one last runoff by shutting off the float valve between the flue pan and front pan. This makes the level drop a bit in the front, the auto-runoff opens and I immediately open the valve to let more liquid in from the back so the front pan doesn't scorch. Worst case scenario, we add water to the flue pan before we leave the camp for the night.

A heavy flood is just about as bad as scorching the pans. If there's too much sap in the front pan you'll get a monster runoff at the start of the following day - which can cause your pans to scorch. Since we run our front pan at 2" I'm OK with leaving the camp with the level 1/2" lower than that because it won't drop much more by morning.