PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Maple Jugs

to100
03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
What is the way to sanitize before fill wih syrup?
How full do you fill these when hot, it seems in other threads that syrup compresses when cooled.
Does the weight change also?
Thanks.

Asthepotthickens
03-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Keep the syrup heated to 190 fill to one inch of the top close lid and lay the bottles on their sides for ten minutes

PerryW
03-31-2013, 08:31 PM
If the syrup jugs are in a box and in the plastic bag, there is no need to sanitize the jugs. I fill my jugs right to within 1/2 inch of the top. I flip all them over upside down for 5-10 minutes (gallons jugs on their sides) then let them cool with air space in between the containers.

The volume of syrup shrinks slightly when it cools, but the weight stays the same.

longbeard
04-02-2013, 04:47 PM
We still wash ours in dishwasher even when new and in the plastic bag - not sure it is necessary but makes us feel better. We also fill each jug right to top and even though it does shrink back when cool, most of our customers appreciate the "little" extra and doesn't amount to much extra either (I think).

michiganphil
04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I was taught to fill plastic jugs level with the handle, which is roughly the base of the cap threads. I was also told not to invert the plastic jugs. They get plenty hot to sterilize the cap, and inverting can actually overheat the plastic cap and cause leaking.
Don't overfill. Don't over tighten the caps.
Yes the syrup contracts when it cools, but the thin plastic jug shrinks slightly as well (the hot syrup softens the plastic). If you overfill, it can pop the caps off when it cools. If you go back and re-tighten caps after they're hot, they can split when they cool.

Then main thing to remember is to fill it quickly, cap it quickly just until the cap seats, and set it aside to cool.