PDA

View Full Version : "Y" and "T" fittings

to100
03-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Happy Easter to all.

My first year with gravity with plenty of slope on 2 laterals, one 9 taps and 6 taps with more that I can tap if I want next year, also 5 on buckets.

What is the best way to install these?
Y's should the branch be level or pointing up or down?
T with cup, branch or cup up?
Will turning tubing on fitting to get these to point up create a leak?
I have one Y that backs up on the staight side about 10 some times is does drain out before a freeze.

PerryW
03-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Happy Easter to all.

My first year with gravity with plenty of slope on 2 laterals, one 9 taps and 6 taps with more that I can tap if I want next year, also 5 on buckets.

What is the best way to install these?
Y's should the branch be level or pointing up or down?
T with cup, branch or cup up?
Will turning tubing on fitting to get these to point up create a leak?
I have one Y that backs up on the staight side about 10 some times is does drain out before a freeze.

I generally try to avoid lots of branch lines and try to run a single lateral from my highest tree to the mainline (or collection tank). This involves more zig-zagging, but reduces branch lines which seem to back up with sap sometimes. Of course, there are many cases where branch lines are necessary and actually, i don't think it really makes much difference either way. The backed up sap seems to alternate between one branch line, then the other (like traffic at a traffic light). Eventually all the sap gets through to the tank either way.

It also seems easier to check sap flow blockage if you have a single lateral (instead of lots of "y" fittings.)

unc23win
04-01-2013, 03:54 PM
You want everything to slope the same. So if you are using a Y to branch out a lateral to another tree you want the branch point to that tree. Some people use the Y so the branch is up to attach drops. I like to have my T Cups with the cup facing out from the tree and if anything the drop will tip the fitting out away from the tree some. Lines will back up thats the way it is in most cases a good flow will look like it is hardly moving. The barbs on a fitting should prevent leaks even if you can turn the tubing on gravity I wouldn't worry about it.

to100
04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks I had it right and I got to see natural vacuum slowly moving bubble casings down hill. One day I had a stready stream into tank. It was cool to see for the first time, and trying to imagine what it would look like.

unc23win
04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
to100 Don't watch the sap in the lines too much it will drive you nuts just make sure you have the lines tight and a good constant slope and let it do its thing.