PDA

View Full Version : Omega digital thermometer?

PARKER MAPLE
03-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Hello just wondering if anyone is using this type of themometer? I have a simple digital thermometer that works great but have recently travled to other places and watched and seen there equipment. Most are using the digital thermometer and drawing syrup to the tenth of a degree. I believe this one will do it but just looking for some input on it. Being that its 250.00 dont want to make a mistake and wish I didnt buy it lol.
MAPLE ROOKIE

nymapleguy607
03-31-2013, 07:17 AM
I bought a digital thermometer to use this year. Its been one of the best pieces of equipment I have bought. I bought mine through Marcland, but it is built by Ystec electronics. It has a built in barometer to tell you the boiling point of water for the day or if it changes. Once you know the boiling point you set the set point to 7.1 degrees above boiling water and go to boiling. It has an alarm and a flashing light the alarm will sound only if the temp drops by 3 degrees between draw offs, but the light flashes whenever the set point is reached. I paid $300 for mine and picked it up at Verona to save on shipping. All in all very happy with it

happy thoughts
04-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Just my 2 cents but that is a lot of money to pay for something that can't replace a good hydrometer reading. You also didn't say what type of digital thermometer. There are 2 types to the best of my knowledge, thermocouple and thermistor. Of the 2, thermocouples are generally more accurate and give a faster (instant) reading. But that said, even if accurate to +/_ 0.1% that still allows for a +/- 1*C error at 100*C (boiling point of water). So what are you really getting for the money other than an expensive fancy *toy* that doesn't replace a hydrometer?

If you decide to go with it anyway, make sure the probe is the type that is rated for the right temps you'll be working at. Among the thermistor probes I looked at made by Omega, some were best at temps up to 75*C and others at 100*C. You obviously want the 100*C one. Probes can lose accuracy over time and over the temps they are rated for.

again, just my 2 cents :)

post edit- I realize my math is way off in the above, still think this is a lot to pay for something that is only marginally useful if you have a hydrometer. Here are the specs for Omega thermometers if you're still in the market...

http://www.omega.com/Temperature/pdf/SEL_GUIDE_DigThermometer.pdf