PDA

View Full Version : bosworth guzzler 5 in vacuum at pump

fiberguy
03-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Looking for a little help increasing vacuum on a guzzler pump. We're new to vacuum this season and have tried to go the cheap route. I've got 3/4 in mainline feeding a bosworth diaphragm pump. I've got about 275 taps hooked up to the line. Went through the whole bush yesterday and got rid of a ton of leaks. Not much for bubbles in the laterals but have only 5in of vacuum at the pump. I'm also pushing the sap into a collection tank with about 15 foot of 3/4 in line. This line drops to the ground then up into a trailer. The end of it is about level with the pump. Dropping the line to the ground did not help raise vacuum. The valves in the pump are the umbrellas that bosworth recommended for vacuum applications. What am I doing wrong? Is this about all to expect out of this setup? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Scott

Apple Hill Sugarworks
03-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Check the umbrellas seals to see if junk it not letting them work. Last weekend I was only getting 14" for two days checked for leaks and didn't find any. On Sunday in the afternoon I was checking again and when the sap was flowing real good I found the leak. It was the diaphragm it had a 1/2" tear, and it was still pulling 14". But when I had little dits of plastic from from drilling the lines thats when it had little to no vacuum. That little pump works it's been running 21" vacuum for the past week. With 394 taps.. Good luck!

fiberguy
03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Check the umbrellas seals to see if junk it not letting them work. Last weekend I was only getting 14" for two days checked for leaks and didn't find any. On Sunday in the afternoon I was checking again and when the sap was flowing real good I found the leak. It was the diaphragm it had a 1/2" tear, and it was still pulling 14". But when I had little dits of plastic from from drilling the lines thats when it had little to no vacuum. That little pump works it's been running 21" vacuum for the past week. With 394 taps.. Good luck!
What type of valves are you running in your pump? Are they the regular flapper valves or the umbrellas?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-30-2013, 09:49 PM
tear in diaphragm, same here had to buy some today. Thanks to Thad he saved me an hr of driving. will be keeping a few on hand from here on out!

fiberguy
03-30-2013, 11:22 PM
tear in diaphragm, same here had to buy some today. Thanks to Thad he saved me an hr of driving. will be keeping a few on hand from here on out! The pump came out of the factory Monday morning and has been pulling the same vacuum as day one. I've got a spare diaphragm and valves. Might change them out just to see if it helps things. I guess the vac came up to 14 inches this morning before the ice melted out of the mainline.

maple flats
03-31-2013, 06:22 AM
If the vacuum came up to 14" before the sap flowed, you still have leaks some place. It might be a whole bunch of small leaks, they are hardest to find. Try to get your wife or girl friend (don't let your wife know) to go check with you, often they can hear leaks you can't.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
If the vacuum came up to 14" before the sap flowed, you still have leaks some place. It might be a whole bunch of small leaks, they are hardest to find. Try to get your wife or girl friend (don't let your wife know) to go check with you, often they can hear leaks you can't.
can I bring them both? :)

new parts installed by 9am back up and running 16" at pump 10" at sap ladder

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
just getting it done, finally upload video

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Sugaring/th_VIDEO0027sapsuckervaclift_zpscae6996f.jpg (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Sugaring/VIDEO0027sapsuckervaclift_zpscae6996f.mp4)

PARKER MAPLE
01-22-2014, 06:23 PM
What model pump did you guys go with? Im thinking of ordering from Bosworth comp

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-23-2014, 04:30 AM
What model pump did you guys go with? Im thinking of ordering from Bosworth comp
I will find out in next day or so, pump is at buddies house. We had to modify the pump linkage as the factory one won't last very long. We had a guy take a steering linkage joint from a snow mobile and beef it up. No problem since.
We have two pumps and one has a higher rpm, it pulls more vacuum, we use the duck bill diaphragms not the flapper style. The video above is the unit that has lower rpm and the diaphragm had a beginning of a tear in it when I made video.

Marc Duclos
02-01-2014, 08:04 AM
What was the reason for the tear? Was the pump new with warranty. Waer did the new parts come from.
I am about to get ready for my Fith year in Deerfield. I plan was to get 500 good taps going on some kind of Vac. Are these Guzzlers vac or are thery just tranfer pumps for lquid?

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-01-2014, 09:38 AM
What was the reason for the tear? Was the pump new with warranty. Waer did the new parts come from.
I am about to get ready for my Fith year in Deerfield. I plan was to get 500 good taps going on some kind of Vac. Are these Guzzlers vac or are thery just tranfer pumps for lquid?
oh they work just dont want ice getting to diaphragm

DrTimPerkins
02-01-2014, 12:27 PM
oh they work just dont want ice getting to diaphragm

It's a good idea to keep a spare set of diaphragms handy. Keep them in a sealed bag though in a cool shady spot though. Being rubber, they are susceptible to breakdown by heat, light, and ozone (so keep them away from heavy electrical use areas).

Marc Duclos
02-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Okay thats brings up the question can these pumps run 24/7. If the diaphragm has a 200.000 cycle or 2.3 day life, is one to buy a case of diaphragms to see them threw a season?

adk1
02-07-2014, 08:16 AM
I dont believe that they should be run when the say isnt "running"

Marc Duclos
02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Hum 24 hr.s + a day. So even if you declaire a sap run being 6r,s. you still will get up to 200.000 cycles eventraly, and you will be changing the diaphragm when you guzzle for 2.3 days. I think the question is should one estimate having sap run for X amount of day and plan on having more thanone replacement. Say 10

Marc Duclos
02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
I am about to start my fifth year sugaring hear in Deerfield NH. If I went all out I could have a 1000 taps. This would do me no good for the lack of equipment ext. I have seen the guzzler for sale hear there and every wear this year.
Now since I have three gravity lines with 8 to 10 % grade on 3/4 it is time to see what a little vacuum could do. Like anything els one item has additional cost. For the sake of not getting to the debating society, has any one have any experienc using these typ of pumps and if so did they find that they need to chang the diaphagms alot. I sapoe buying oil for a vane could be construded as additional cost.

pls009
04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Does anyone here use this pump in the 12Volt model and can you give me any idea on how long it will run on a full charge before swapping out batteries?