PDA

View Full Version : Grade

doocat
03-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Just curious what anyone is making now for grade. We have been tapped since 2/17/13 and are still making light. It went to dark duing the warm couple of days back in the beginning of March, then back to light. What gives?

SeanD
03-30-2013, 07:24 AM
I had the same results. The darkest I got was medium for one batch in the middle like you. Light Amber the whole way right up to the final drop coming off the evaporator.

The season was so busy that I had less time to clean out my barrels. I think I did it twice. Some of the buckets are looking nasty and my last 60 gallons I put in yesterday sat from Sunday to Friday with no snow pack around it.

I think the grade has a lot less to do with our own practices than what the trees decide to offer up - with all due respect to the research.

Sean

Maplewalnut
03-30-2013, 06:36 PM
We went to B today

TerryEspo
03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Still very fancy light here in Nothern Ont. and Northern Michigan.

Bit of a cold snap here too, so maybe the fancy light will continue for awhile longer.

Good luck to all.

Terry

PerryW
03-31-2013, 01:04 AM
I have made 77 gallons of syrup this year and it is all very light fancy ( average crop is 110 gallons). Definitely a record for me with 24 years of sugaring at this location!

Russell Lampron
03-31-2013, 05:55 AM
I have made 77 gallons of syrup this year and it is all very light fancy ( average crop is 110 gallons). Definitely a record for me with 24 years of sugaring at this location!

Glad I don't have your problem. I have made all colors of the spectrum here this year. Before I built my Bubblemaster 1.0 it was dark, darker and darkest with the sap coming into the front pan at grade B or mersh. Since the Bubblemaster it has been medium, light, medium, medium, dark, dark and dark. The light was just enough to make candy and cream for maple weekend and to satisfy my customers that want the crap.