PDA

View Full Version : Surge oil reclaimer problem

maple flats
03-30-2013, 05:24 AM
When I got to my vacuum pump yesterday morning to refuel, I found the oil reclaimer exhaust fitting laying on the ground and a rather large hole in the top. When I got this unit 2 yrs ago, it had been altered, instead of having a short nipple and a rubber flapper on top, someone had screwed a coupling, short nipple, then an 90, another nipple and finally a 45. These were all galvanized fittings. I'm not sure if the weight caused the area to work harden because of the constant vibration making it fail, or if it was just rust from the inside (there is still good paint on the reclaimer) but either way I need to fix it. I'm thinking I'll make a galvanized can with the top about 1" larger than the tube, open on the bottom, with about 5 or 6- 1" holes around the sides. Then I'll slit it so a large band clamp will hold it in place. Then I'll take some 1/8" hardware cloth, wrap it to cover the holes and use 2 more band clamps. This will keep rain out, let the exhaust out and keep critters out. Any better ideas without having to remove the top half and take it to the shop for repairs before the end of the season? At that time a new top can be welded onto the bad one, this time with a flapper and not all that extra weight.