PDA

View Full Version : How deep to tap?

Pete S
08-02-2006, 06:58 AM
I have read numerous articles about tap hole depth. Last season, was our first and we didn't want to do anything wrong, so we were a bit concervative with our drilling.

I went out with a small stick to check the 'actual" hole depth, this summer and found we were at the most a "chubby" 2" deep from the outer bark+/-. All our trees were at least 14" dia., but we may look to tap some smaller trees this next season.

I've read that you can go as deep as 3"? Would this all depend on tree diameter, etc.

Where is this measured from and how critical is this measurement, as we don't want to hurt the tree, but really want it's sap!!

Thanks!
Pete

mountainvan
08-02-2006, 07:27 AM
3" is "old school tapping, yo". I go in 1 1/2" no matter the tree diameter. I also use the 5/16" spiles. Even with the caterpillars this years tapholes are already 3/4- 4/4 closed, a good indication of tree health. As for sap I got a little over the 10 gal/tap this past year without vacuum.

Father & Son
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I also use the 5/16 tree saver spiles. I took a piece of purple tubing, slid it over the bit, and cut the tubing exposing 1 3/4" inches of the bit. The tubing hits the bark of the tree and depth is set. Works real nice.

Jim Brown
08-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I also use 1 1/2 inches and took the bits and painted the shank white down to with-in 1 1/2 inches of the point. Drill into the white paint is at the tree bark and stop! Works for us!

Fred Henderson
08-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I use a small block of wood leaving 2" of the bit exposed. When the block hits the bark the drill just spins cleaning out the hole.

royalmaple
08-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Pete-

I also use the piece of tubing stuck on the drill bit so I am only drilling in about 1 3/4 inches. But one thing to remember is that on some old trees, you'll have almost 1inch+ of rough bark to get through before you even get into the sap wood. So you'll have to use your judgement. I tap some very old red's and I barely get through the bark with 1 3/4 normal tap, I pretty much have to bottom out the drill to have enough room to get the tap in the hole.

On younger trees, you may have 1/4 inch of bark. Main thing is not to hit the heart wood(center of tree), keeping your tap holes in the sapwood is where you want to be.

5/16 tubing fits nicely on the 19/64 bits or 5/16 bits, and stays on good too, so you are not always losing it.