PDA

View Full Version : Sap prices

vermontpure
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
What's the going price for 1.8 - 2.0 sap.

spud
03-30-2013, 04:55 AM
What's the going price for 1.8 - 2.0 sap.

For good sap I am getting .45 cents for 1.8% and .50 cents for 2.0% Your quality sap has value so don't let anyone tell you different.

Spud

rchase
03-30-2013, 08:11 AM
.50 cents for 2%. wow wish a got that for the little bit of sap I sold. so if my maths right. someones paying you $21.50 for the sap for them to make a gallon of syrup.

spud
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
.50 cents for 2%. wow wish a got that for the little bit of sap I sold. so if my maths right. someones paying you $21.50 for the sap for them to make a gallon of syrup.

That's the going rate for my area.

Spud

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-30-2013, 10:18 PM
thats great Spud if you have sugar makers paying you that, but it would be a cold day in hell I would pay the price, I'd turn my rig into a beer making unit and for get all about the syrup or make a target out of the rig shoot the hell out of it:o

Brian Ryther
03-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I am paying $.35 for 2%. That is a 50 / 50 split for wholesale syrup prices.

PerryFamily
03-31-2013, 06:00 AM
I agree with Rod.I buy a fair amount of sap and could never pay that amount for it.
Do you truck it for that figure as well Spud? That should be taken into consideration as well.
I pay based on Bascoms current price's. I assume these are based on bulk syrup price?
From what I have read on here, with the volume Spud produces, and if it was delivered, with a super efficient evaporator you might be able to squeeze out a small profit still.
Bottom line is if the market will sustain the price, get every penny you can out of it!!
T

spud
04-01-2013, 07:20 AM
I do not truck my sap. The person buying my sap comes with their truck and picks it up. We feel for the amount of money we make on sap it is not worth boiling. To set my sugar house up for boiling it could cost me between $75,000-100,000. I would rather spend my money on buying more land and tapping more trees. The value of equipment in a sugar house only will go down in time. The value of land will only go up in time. I would like to leave all my kids with land once I die. I can make $10,000 per thousand taps selling sap. Next year I will have 2000-3000 more taps and I have my eye on another sugar woods in town. Because I work alone in sugaring I feel I could only handle about 12,000-15,000 taps at best. I could not handle that many alone if I had to boil my sap. I do plan to get a small rig (2x6) for my wife so she can boil a few hours and give the syrup to family and friend. I am very thankful for all the Lord has done for me and my family. I hope everyone has a great season.

Spud

GeneralStark
04-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I have been getting .45 - .60 for the sap I have sold this year. I am not trucking it, the buyers are picking it up. I have sold quite a bit to hobbyists that upgraded to bigger rigs and need the sap. But, one guy has been driving almost an hour to take 425 gallon loads.

I won't sell my sap for less than .45/gallon and I think it is pretty unfair for buyers to offer less than that. It takes quite a bit to produce good quality sap.