PDA

View Full Version : Batch method vs. draw-off method

Cameron670
03-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Hello All,

My flat pan, nor my flue pan have any kind of port. We have always pulled the pan off the fire and dumped it into a 5 gallon stock pot, finish on electric stove. We have tapped more trees, and now an average batch is 80-120 gallons of sap. Twice we have tried to run 200 gallon batches in a day. Both times, we have ended up with odd smelling/tasting syrup. It is exceptionally discouraging. We now have 4 gallons total of beautiful syrup, from smaller batches, and then we have 8-9 gallons of nice looking syrup that is the worst we've ever made.
I guess my question to the gurus on here is this. If you boil syrup too long can you change the chemistry of the sugars, and possibly start converting sugar to starch or anything like that ? It smells awesome the whole day, then we stop adding sap, and an hour later you notice the "sweetness" is missing in the air. , just before we are ready to dump into the stock pot. I have posted a you tube link below to hopefully make you familiar with my setup. This situation is very discouraging, and any insight would be sincerley appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67M62fBr0A

Thanks,

KJC

fishman
03-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I have a 2x4 flat pan that I slide off on to a rack then drain. I usually do a maximum 120 gallons of sap otherwise I start getting the same issue you have. Since I get about 10-11 gph, I figure the first sap in the pan has been in there for about 12 hours. I have a steel plate that I slide over the arch that keeps the heat and smoke going mostly up the stack. 10-15 minutes to drain and do a quick rinse then I can put in some more sap and slide it back on the arch and right back in business.

Cameron670
03-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Thank you for your response ! Hopefully others will have some comments too.

KJC

PerryW
03-29-2013, 09:36 PM
to my knowledge, boiling the sap too long will not make the syrup have an off flavor. Boiling too long may darken the syrup and give it a more mapley flavor, but should not hurt the taste. There was even a scheme in the old days to slow-boil maple syrup (to enhance the maple flavor/Browning Reaction) and then at cane sugar to it.

It's a head scratcher for sure, I see nothing wrong with your setup. Unless you burn the syrup in the pans, off-flavors generally come from spoiled sap, buddy sap or improperly cleaned equipment.

jputney
03-30-2013, 01:47 AM
I boil in batches and have never had any trouble. I will do as much as 350 gallons at a time.