PDA

View Full Version : microwave to reheat?

chicken123
03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm bottling in mason jars and by the time i'm done filtering the syrups cold. usually I pour it in a pot and reheat on the stove, but when I pour back in to the mason jars I sometimes spill some and lose syrup. So, could I just filter into a mason jar and then put the jar in the microwave until 185f and then screw the cover on?

TreeTapper2
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Not many fans of the microwave. If you did that it could over heat and boil over. I'm thinking if it boils over it will do that pretty fast.
Try filling a pan with some water put another pan inside of it and filter your syrup into the second pan. While doing this have them on the stove keeping the syrup warm enough to can. This way you don't have to reheat and possibly make more nitter.

parrothead600
03-31-2013, 08:02 PM
I am also bottling in mason jars and have had the same filtering problems that you are having. My current setup at bottling time is to place 4 or 5 filter sheets over a 30 cup coffee maker. When I pour the syrup from my finishing pan to the coffee maker, the filter will clog. Then I will simply remove the top filter layer and let the remaining layers do their job. I may have to remove the top 3 or 4 filter layers before the batch is done. The coffee maker will keep the syrup hot until I get the syrup into the jars.

PerryW
03-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Actually, the microwave idea sounds good as long as you don't go over the desired temp.