PDA

View Full Version : Turkey frier grease filter

Pete S
08-02-2006, 06:38 AM
We recently were at our local Fleet Farm and my wife spotted a "Grease Filtering Kit" for those big outdoor turkey deep friers.

We figured with all the trouble we had with coffee filters last (our first season) ..............why not pick one up. It came with a frame and some filters for about $12.00.

The filtering of the grease, considering the viscosity, we thought should be similar. It does not recommend HOT GREASE, but thought the syrup would be fine.

Any thoughts/experience with these?

Thanks!
Pete

Fred Henderson
08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Why don't you just find some nice clean wool felt about a 1/2 " thick.

Pete S
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Will the wool felt work as well as a coffee filter for the final filtering? We were "assuming" that the filtering capibility of this grease filter would somewhat replicate the coffees filter.

Let me know as we do want good "looking" syrup, but the coffee filter experience wan't the best.............!

Thanks you!
Pete

maple flats
08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
coffee filters are rather poor filters. You would be best off getting a synthetic filter and several pre filters. If your production is low get a cone filter and if you get a canner with filter rack get flat filters to fit. In use the filter should be the bottom layer and use 4 or 5 pre filters. As the pre filters start to get plugged up with fine sugar sand, carefully remove it and this exposes the next pre filter and filtering is continued, if this one plugs again remove the plugged one and use the next. To do this you carefully slide the plugged pre filter out and slowly dump the syrup being filtered into the next layer. Do not discard the pre filters or the final filter. They can both be re used many times. I usually re used the pre filters after cleaning them for2 or 3 years. The final filter should last for many years. To clean them rinse in hot clean water, do not wring them as this breaks the fibers, just squeeze them, keep dipping in clean hot water and squeeze. When clean, hang to dry. Many also wash them in a washing machine, no detergent, hang to dry. You will find that the synthetic filter removes more sugar sand than the wool but either works well and either is far superior to coffee filters in cleaning ability. When production gets high enough the next step up is a filter press but they are rather expensive and are generally used on larger batches.

VA maple guy
08-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Pete, If i were you i would buy a cone wool filter. Maple guys carries them for about 20 to 25$. I bought one last year and my syrup came out crystal clear. the one thing that did happen was the filter shed a small amount of wool into the syrup. I put a prefilter after the wool filter to catch
the small fibers. If you try using some regular felt 1/2'' might be a little thick. you may have a tough time getting the syrup to pass through it

Gerry

Al
08-03-2006, 07:15 AM
I converted a turkey frier into my finisher/filter rig. I went to a kitchen store and bought two stainless mesh collenders. Like you use to strain water off you veggies etc. The one I bought fits right inside the top of the turkey frier like it was made for it. I then put three or four prefilters in the collender and use some small clamps to hold them in place. Works great. :D You could also put in the synthetic filter too. I pull at least one prefilter after every pour no matter what.
I bought a finishing/bottling rig last year and for a small producer (17 Gallons) you can't beat it for filtering or canning. My best investment since my rig for sure.
Take care