PDA

View Full Version : Float issues

mike first timer
03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
I have a 2x6 cdl raised flue. Last night i was boiling and when the flue pan boiling really hard my float shut off my incoming sap.I tried adding defoamer the only way to get it to work was to hold down on the float to let sap start flowing then it would work. It is almost like it gets locked up for some reason.

sams64
03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Disclaimer - I am not a float expert

It sounds like your float is too light and is floating on the foam. Can you experiment by adding weight so that it has enough bouyancy to float on sap, but not so much bouyancy that it will float on foam?

Sam

western mainer
03-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I will some times have to hold down on the float. What I was told was to put a elbow on the end of your input so you don't get the wave going back it to the float box.
Brian

mike first timer
03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Ok thanks for the replies. Brian has your season picked up yet?

western mainer
03-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes this past week it did big time, this week is a little slow but not bad. This coming week looks good also.
Brian

jrgagne99
03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Disclaimer - I am not a float expert

It sounds like your float is too light and is floating on the foam. Can you experiment by adding weight so that it has enough bouyancy to float on sap, but not so much bouyancy that it will float on foam?

Sam

The average density of "foamy" liquid is lower than "non-foamy" liquid, so the float should sink lower in foamy syrup than in stagnant syrup. I know this is the case in white-water rafting or kayaking. It sounds like the agitation in the float box may causing the float to stick somehow. Is it hinged, or free-floating?

western mainer
03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I have watched mine very close and when you get a hard rolling boil the wave goes back in to the float box and the level will drop from 1 1/2" over the flues to 1/2" over as the float has come up, we have a sight gauge that we can see happen. We are not talking about the syrup float box, this is where the sap comes in.

Quinner
03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I am so glad that you posted this question because I am having the exact same issue. I just get the CDL dialed in with a fantastic rolling boil and the pan level drops to zero. What a horrendous design flaw!!!! Without having tried it, the elbow idea sounds like it might work as it should prevent the wave from traveling back up the feed tube and into the float box. This will likely also prevent the "floaters", foam and scum from moving back into the float box, which should probably not happen with the proper flow. For what this system costs, Dellaire (CDL) should be ashamed of themselves!!!!!

Thanks, again for the post.

Quinner
03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Just found what might be a quick, albeit temporary, fix. I placed a stainless steel camping cup (the kind you find in a camping mess kit) at the end of the inlet pipe, with the inside of the cup facing the open pipe. I lifted the pipe slightly to slide the lip of the cup under the pipe end, to hold the cup in place. Anyways, the cup prevents the wave from entering the pipe, and even with an awesomely rapid boil my level is staying within half an inch. You may want to try this until you get a more permanent fix.

One concern that I have about adding an elbow is the ability to clean the inside of the pipe. I use a brush on the end of a broomstick, now, but with an elbow, I can't see being able to get the brush inside the pipe. Maybe an elbow with an expanded end that can be slid on and off would resolve this.

Happy boiling!!!

Middleton Maples
03-30-2013, 07:56 PM
If you were to use an elbow, it will definitely work. Thats how the lapierre evaporators are made. They have 2 elbows and it takes sap in from the bottom of the flue pan but then bends up and enters the float box 6 inches higher. Absolutely no foam or waves affect it and it helps prevent niter from entering my front pans, very well designed.

western mainer
03-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Ok after along time i was told to drill 3/8 holes 3" apart on the feed tube I ended up drilling 3/8 holed 1 1/2 apart on the pipe about 10 of them now it feed fine.
Brian