PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy filters locally?

Too Tall
03-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Poor planning on my part. I had been using just one filter that I bought from one of the online maple supply guys. It was basically one big sheet that I cut to fit each time.

Well, it's pretty well all cut up and I need to boil this weekend. Where would you guys recommend I go to get something similar (or different) to filter my syrup?

Meijer, Sams, Walmart are where I was going to check. Any advice? I live near Grand Rapids.

Brian

rayi
03-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Sugar bush supplies in Mason Michigan. Plan on spendingf an hour or so there because it's a neat place to see alot of things. They have every thing for small producer to the big guys

DonMcJr
03-28-2013, 08:32 AM
That's the only place I know of and if you call them today they can probally get it to you tomorrow their shipping to Michigan is usually next day.

mzstein
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I live about 2 hours from sugarbush and try to stop in whenever I
go through, but at the proice of gas - I usually just call and have them
ship it. They are very fair and it is pretty hard to drive to lansing and
back for under $ 10-15 .

It is fun to look around and they have some maple rootbeer my kids love .

tbromley
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Not sure were in west michigan you are but you could try

Haigh's maple supply
6903 S. Lacey Lake Rd. Bellevue, MI* 49021-8403
269-763-2210.

Larry and Karen are very helpful and have on hand most supply you would be looking for

michiganphil
03-28-2013, 09:57 AM
I have stopped in at all of these places and they are all great people, and wonderful to deal with:
Haigh's in Bellevue
Sugar Bush Supplies in Mason
Dodds in Niles

I have also purchased quite a bit of stuff online, or called and had it shipped. Delivery was only a couple of days from the following:
Haigh's
Sugar Bush Supplies
RMG Maple, Rudyard MI
Anderson's, Cumberland WI

jimmartin
03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
I have some extra filters . what kind are you looking for ? have cone prefilters and final filters. also have sheet type pre and final filters. have filter press and dount need them.

Too Tall
03-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Jim,

I appreciate the offer. I ended up using paper towel as a filter. I think more syrup ended up in my garbage can than in bottles!

Where in West Michigan are you? I might take you up on that offer. I'm not picky on type...they're probably all better than paper towels. I've got one more boil to do this Sunday. I'm in Sand Lake (north of Rockford).

jimmartin
04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. live by Caledonia , you can call me 616-318-3688

Roy Coates
04-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I bought a yard of 100 percent wool fabric and Joann's cut it to size. Seems to work well with some cotton pre filter material I had laying around. just a thought

Too Tall
04-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys. I ended up driving to sugarbush supplies in mason. What a cool place. I also picked up some neat molds for my maple candy.