PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Size of Operation

Noseguard76
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I have about 30 acres of 16 to 24-inch hard maples on a hill side that could be gravity fed by tubing to the base of the hillside. Plenty of pole size culls on about 6 acres for firewood. On the other hand I do not have running water or power. Obviously I have plenty of trees to tap and fuel but would need to use a generator around the clock for a vacuum system and/or reverse osmosis. Most importantly is the lack of potable water for cleaning. Was wondering if I should just keep it simple. Is there some sweet spot for evaporator size and corresponding number of trees that I should limit myself too. Seems like at some point lack of water would just be too much for some size operation.

thanks
Noseguard

PerryW
03-28-2013, 12:18 AM
I do not have running water in my sugarhouse, and without an RO or pumps, I can run without power just fine.

It takes me about 1 gallon of rinse water for each gallon of syrup produced to rinse my filters and prefilters so with my 3x10, 10 gallons of water will do a 10 syrup day. (I do a final rinse of the filters up at the house)

My limiting factor is firewood. 10 cords of softwood with my old evaporator will do about 150 gallons of syrup. SOunds like you have enough trees so vacuum would not be necessary unless you really like cutting wood.

SSFLLC
03-28-2013, 06:01 AM
AS Perry said but put a steamaway on top of the evaporator. Now you have more clean potable water then you will ever need. Keith

Russell Lampron
03-28-2013, 09:55 AM
A steam hood with a pre heater on the flue pan will give enough hot water to clean with. It doesn't take long to get a 5 gallon bucket full.

You need to tell us how many taps you think you will have to recommend a properly sized evaporator. A properly tubed woods will give about a gallon of sap per tap per day on a good run.

Noseguard76
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
A steam hood with a pre heater on the flue pan will give enough hot water to clean with. It doesn't take long to get a 5 gallon bucket full.

I feel kind of stupid about the lack of water concern. Duh, all kinds of vapor and typically lots of snow too. I'm going to log the lower section of the hillside in a few years but of course will leave a good number. I'll have to take a look for sugarbush potential minus timber and continue the discussion then. Setting up a sugar shack might be a good way to spend the money made from the timber.

thanks for easing my way

Noseguard