PDA

View Full Version : re heating

Stevieray
03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
I have some 1 & 2 year or syrup and was wanting to rebottled. Was wondering about the tempurature is 180 - 200 OK
Been slow here for 2 weeks but starting to run today . I'm on high ground with a north slope.
thanks

backcreek
03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
If you heat it to boiling and scim off it will taste like you just made it

Stevieray
03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
so 219 ...why was I thinkng 180 - 200
thanks bcreek man !

backcreek
03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
180-200 is the temp it has to be when you can it to be sold. That way it ia going to seal better. Bring it to boil just makes older syrup Tatste like you just made it. Been making syrup for 53 years. You learn a lot in that time. If you have any more questions let me know.

Stevieray
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
53 years is good enough for me . Thanks again for your help backcreek !I'll give it a go get back to you !

Dr. Bucket
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I have some 1 & 2 year or syrup and was wanting to rebottled. Was wondering about the tempurature is 180 - 200 OK
Been slow here for 2 weeks but starting to run today . I'm on high ground with a north slope.
thanks

Hi,

I'm curious as to why you would want to re-bottle. If it looks fine wouldn't it be better to leave it as is? On the other hand if it looks questionable wouldn't one be better off to discard it?

Cheers,

George

Russell Lampron
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Just be aware that bringing the syrup to a boil again will make the density heavier and it will also make the syrup darker. Just heating it to the 180 to 190 range should be good enough. If you heat it over 193 it will start to release nitre and should be filtered again.

Dr Bucket down here we don't discard syrup, even if it has an off flavor or is fermented. The wholesalers will buy it as commercial syrup and it can turn into a fair amount of money if you have enough of it. I bought all of my supplies for this season with commercial syrup and still had some money left over.

Bucksaw
03-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Just be aware that bringing the syrup to a boil again will make the density heavier and it will also make the syrup darker. Just heating it to the 180 to 190 range should be good enough. If you heat it over 193 it will start to release nitre and should be filtered again.

Dr Bucket down here we don't discard syrup, even if it has an off flavor or is fermented. The wholesalers will buy it as commercial syrup and it can turn into a fair amount of money if you have enough of it. I bought all of my supplies for this season with commercial syrup and still had some money left over.

Just curious...what is the going rate for commercial syrup? Any is there anything that they won't take?

Russell Lampron
03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Just curious...what is the going rate for commercial syrup? Any is there anything that they won't take?

The last time that I sold some was in January and I got $2 per pound for it. I don't know what they are paying now. I know that Bascoms gives you $.05 less per pound if you bring it in 5 gallons containers and that they pay much less for buddy syrup. I also heard that are going to pay $.75 per pound for off flavor syrup. They have taken anything that I have brought to them so far. That includes ropey syrup and the stuff that I drew off after a really hot batch in the front pan if you know what I mean. I don't know what they are paying now and that it too early for the Canadian Federation to set the prices for this season. What they pay is what the buyers in the U.S. set their prices by.

Stevieray
03-29-2013, 05:35 PM
there was a lot of It sand in it . only a couple of quarts....we just finished .. looks good.