PDA

View Full Version : how much longer will the buds hold off ?

patrick81
03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Boy Finley had a couple good runs, late in the game but ill take it. Here in bingham looks to me as maybe a week or so be for I'm into makeing grade B. Smells like a pot of baked beans while I'm finsh

gmcooper
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure I understand but are you thinking the season is just about over? We are 140 miles south of you and have barely any signs of trees budding. Unless the weather really changes we have 2 and likely 3 more weeks before getting close to trees budding. If your making off flavored syrup like buddy syrup I would look at cleaning all your storage tanks and rinse them really well. I would also ask how fast your boiling sap down, boiling every day? A 30x8 should be plenty for 140 buckets.

Revi
03-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I think the season is winding down, but it's not over yet. We didn't get any sap yesterday, but I think it will run this weekend.

patrick81
03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Sorry for my have ofpost my keyboard cut me short.
My syrup has tasted great as always, I have a couple trees with buds aready not all my trees but a couple. I haven't got a drop of sap in the last coue days, well I did but was cloudy so I pitched it.
Anything was better then last yr, my syrup starting to darken so medium to dark amber but still has a great flavor.
I as well have high hopes for this weekend to have one more run.

Revi
04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
If you want to get together, we eat breakfast at the Pickup on Saturdays at 8:30 am. The Pickup is where the old Somerset County jail was in Skowhegan, across from the movie theater.