PDA

View Full Version : Post Here If You're Boiling Right Now!

DonMcJr
03-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Gonna try and make this a sticky. This is for folks currently boiling to chit chat. Am I the only one tonight?

100GallonsOrBust
03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Right there with you Don! :cool:

Just did my final draw-off of the season from my flat pan and it's on the small burner finishing up. Sad that the season is over, but I got 12 gallons more than my initial goal at the start of the season and caught a SEVERE case of the maple bug in the process. :)

How's the sweet stuff looking tonight?

DonMcJr
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Fresh Pan I finished off what was in it Sunday and cleaned the pan. Its the 3.25% right now so its going kinda quick and I can see it changine in the sections already!

whitetail farms
03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Right there with you Don! :cool:

Just did my final draw-off of the season from my flat pan and it's on the small burner finishing up. Sad that the season is over, but I got 12 gallons more than my initial goal at the start of the season and caught a SEVERE case of the maple bug in the process. :)

How's the sweet stuff looking tonight?what part of new york are you in cause for me the season is just getting started?

shane hickey
03-27-2013, 12:17 AM
No just finished then

100GallonsOrBust
03-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Fresh Pan I finished off what was in it Sunday and cleaned the pan. Its the 3.25% right now so its going kinda quick and I can see it changine in the sections already!

Outstanding man, how much longer will your season run out there?

what part of new york are you in cause for me the season is just getting started?

Northern Dutchess County. I put out 45 taps on February 13th with a goal of getting 15 gallons of finished syrup, which I thought would be a stretch on our simple wood stove / 2' x 2' flat pan setup. We burn wood for heat in the house as well and I had only split enough wood for keeping the house warm through April and for making 15 gallons of syrup..... then the sap kept flowing and I got the fever. :) The batch I bottle this morning will make 27 gallons of finished syrup and the wood supply for heating the house is down to the scraps around the log splitter.

The weather here has been awesome and I know there are folks who are still running. The guys I've talked to around here said it's been a record year. I think the change to bud sap isn't too far off though - if you look out at the top of the sugar bush, the canopies are starting to get that reddish hue to them.

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Almost 1am and I'm boiling away. Why not, what else is there to do........ Sleep, do that when the season is done.
Started at 6:30 and have about 110 gallons to do. Trees are running real good and I'm running out of storage so I had to.

ANYONE THERE!!!!!!

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Im still here...probally a 1/4 way done with 130 gallons....my gravity tube has benn streaming a bit the whole time!

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 01:18 AM
I had visitors. .. my wife and her sister .... they wanted to visit the steam room but when I opened the door cause I was too hot they left...too cold lol! Im so hhot I'd do one of them polar bear plunges right now!

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 01:23 AM
My wife is sleeping on the couch next to the basement door out where I'm boiling.
She's keeping me company she says........sleeping! Ha, I left her to type on the computer upstaires. And eat....of course.

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Dont let the syrup burn! I think we got til the end of next week then it will be winding down...

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 02:17 AM
How's that half pint working for ya? Are you ready to upgrade the pan yet?

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Yeah id like something faster...shoulda went bigger!

My digital thermometer took a crap or the batteries are dead...I ordered a backup but it was on back order and hasnt come yet...grrr...I got 2 backup non digital but hate um...

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 02:38 AM
You could upgrade to the flue pan for the half pint 1500 smacks! Here's a link to drool over.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smoky-Lake-Full-Pint-Half-Pint-Replacement-Evaporator-Pan-DropFlue-Maple-Syrup-/151013731834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23291eadfa

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 03:14 AM
49 gallons to go. I might just pull the sap from the tree buckets and boil it if I'm up at sunrise.

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 03:27 AM
When I'mdone I have to go frost seed my deer clover food plot...

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 03:44 AM
I think you been drinking to much SAP! That statement makes no sense. ;)

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 04:09 AM
when I am done I have to go put clover seedin my food plots fordear you know what I'm just gonna talk I love this voice activated craft put down whatever itI am saying

Lol nevermind this voice record on smart phones is too dumb to understand me...lmao

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 04:25 AM
The wife just got an Ipad and tried the voice recorder with Siri. I believe Siri has a little wax build up because she was repeating some wierd jiberish.

SSFLLC
03-27-2013, 04:36 AM
you guys still boiling

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Yep not even half way through 140 gallons...clise but not half yet....

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 04:50 AM
I think I have about 30 gallons in the barrel yet.

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Oh if I go by whats in the barrels I have 55 plus about 35...so thats what 90 gallons left?

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Still at it...70 gallons left.

jnmartin
03-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Been at it since 5:00 this am. Started with 38 gal, with what's in the boiling pan and preheat pan still 17 to go.

Since my first fiasco it's being watched like a hawk.

sapbrush
03-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Sounds like someomes smokin some funny stuff lol

Spolcik
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Started at 7:00 pm last night. Just put the last of the sap in the feeder pan. Shouldn't be long now! Didn't check the site till now been up all night wish I would have known I wasn't alone in the maple madness! Lol

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Naw I was trying to use the voice to text..im posting from my smart phone while im boiling.... I have a clover / chicory food plot for deer hunting. You can spread seed now to fill in the bare spots and the freezing/thawing action make the seed work in the soil and helps it germinate. So I need to do that but this boil is taking a long time so that might wait til tomorrow....

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 08:42 AM
I think we should keep this thread at the top ..

Yiu know nobody uses the chat room on my website in my signature. ..we could use that to real time chat but everyone would have to register in the Forums....

Its in my profile not signature. The forum is http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/Forum/index.php

Once you register you log Iin the forms and hit the banner at the top of forums page to go back to the home page then hit firepit on the left...

Spolcik
03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Naw I was trying to use the voice to text..im posting from my smart phone while im boiling.... I have a clover / chicory food plot for deer hunting. You can spread seed now to fill in the bare spots and the freezing/thawing action make the seed work in the soil and helps it germinate. So I need to do that but this boil is taking a long time so that might wait til tomorrow....

Probably won't have much energy for that when your done with the marathon boil! Lol

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Yep just hit 12 hours...have about 50 gallons left but it flowed most of the night so I have 160 gallons total I am boiling down to get way ahead...

Spolcik
03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Me too. I'm going to boil every thing I collect today also. I was about out of storage so that's why I started last night. The way the forecast looks it won't take long to fill back up!

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Don, you're still alive and boiling? I was just finishing up last night when you started, and pretty soon I'll be starting again for the day.

Are you saying that your taps kept running all night too? At this rate you'll be a 24/7 operation! It got below freezing here last night, but the taps have started dripping again for the day. I need to check the other taps that I have down the street as I suspect they performed through the night. They are sheltered from the wind that bothered my own trees yesterday.

How much syrup are you hoping to get with the batch you are currently working on?

Hang in there!

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Sap only stopped for about an hour or 2... I should have 5.5 gallons if my sap hydrometer was right but some will stay in the pan so I should be finishing around 3 gallons tomorrow...or is that tomorrow x 2....lol

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Wow! That's really going to add a lot to your 2013 total!

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Yep at this rate ill be over 10 gallons by Sunday. ..who'd thubk that last year eh?

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm still here! Pulled off a two gallon batch for finish. Just gathered another 28 gallons of sap to add to my remaining 15 or so.
Have to clean up the pans. To much burnt sugar on them to start another. While i'm at it need
to clean out ash pile too. And get more wood from the out builing. Yep just a little busy and no sleep......snore!

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Im fighting a losing battle....the 40 gallon is almsot full from it running just about all nighr. Almost to the point where its all I got to go though....

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Don, pull the plug before you find yourself getting overtired. That's when mistakes and injuries happen. It's hard to stay focussed when you are exhausted and you are already over 12 hours in to this boil.

I think you should clean up for the day and get some rest.

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Rest is for the Mapleless. We got sap to boil. Onward flames of fire heat that sap!

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Im good...I have the half pint goi g and the turkey fryer trying to get the big pot full of almost syrup. When that is achieved the the smaller pot gets filled to almost top and I boil more down til the big pot is close and full too. I am almost out of wood so im not stopping this boil til im out of sap or wood whatever comes 1st...then I have these two pots of almost syrup which means ill be finishing my bigest batch yet tomorrow after I get some sleep.

It will also make it so I pass out around 5pm and wake up at 1st light to take care of seeding the clover food plot!

I got it all planned out. Then I can go get more wood after that. Weeeeee!

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Boil on Don. Boil on!

1hardmaple
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Wait a doggone second.....you mean to tell me I don't have to empty my pan of sap/syrup the same day I start my boiling? I can actually leave it in the pan for a day or two till I get more sap? Is that what reading?

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
You could or you could stay up all night and boil like we did.

Ravenseye
03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I boiled last night. Wife is home boiling right now. I'll be boiling tonight when I get home. Probably tomorrow as well. Sap is really slow but I have pails to catch up on before they turn cloudy.

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Hard at it again today. I collected just over 6 gallons from 7 taps this morning and have almost finished with that, plus the 5 gallons I couldn't finish last night. I'll probably collect from my trees here on the property, but they are still disappointing me today. I'd be lucky if they added up to much of anything. Anyhow, there is a lot to be said for having empty storage pails ready for the next run.

Once the raw sap is done then I get to add the 3 gallons of sweet that I made yesterday and after some more boiling, get some serious syrup making action going in the kitchen! It's been way too long since I've been able to update my totals in my signature line.

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Cool Karen! If you woulda stayed up like me youd be done!

I wanna go for a quick walk to my bee hives...when I opened the door to cool off I had one come visit me. I wanna see bees arou d both hives so I know im good...Saturday it will be 50 F and im gonna peek in the hives and see if they need to be fed sugar water.

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Don, you've obviously got much more stamina than me. I was so bleary-eyed last night it was ridiculous. I figured I'd burn the house down if I kept going. Not that I don't like a good fire........

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Finally have all of the fresh sap and the sweet boiling down in two pans. It's the total of 147.5 liters (39 gallons) of sap from Sat. Sun. Mon and today. I can't believe my storage pails are finally empty again.

DonMcJr
03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
well I started cool down around 4:30pm. The only thing that hurts besides my arm is my darn lower back! Every boil the lower back being sore is what does me in.

Note to self: When I build the Sugar Shack....LazyBoy Recliner:cool:

Eating Dinner and then I gotta stay awake until the sweet cools down enough to put my cover on then BED!

Boiled down 160 gallons and have 20 gallons left in one storage and the other 2 are empty except for what is flowing now!

Sly011
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Hello People,

Newbie here currently boiling on nano evaporator (Coleman stove and BBQ) but having fun!!

Upgrading to a turkey boiler this weekend so this should triple my boiling rate!

Sly

Ausable
03-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi Sly - I finish on a turkey fryer Burner and a restaurant pan and it works pretty well. LOL - I tried the Coleman stove thing years ago and it is slow. Good luck and it will be an upgrade - much hotter burner. -----Mike-----

John c
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Yup, I got 30 gallons of 3.0% sap boiled down to 2 gallons today on my 20"x20" flat pan. Now I got it in a steam pan simmering on the wood stove for the night so I can reduce it down a little more, then ill put that in the fridge with the rest of my reduced sap. I've decided to do it this way this year so I can cut back on the number of finishes I have to do. If there is one thing that I don't care for its gotta be the clean up after a finish, especially at midnight. Lol!
Good luck Fellas!

Sly011
03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Well the Coleman stove is still glowing blueish red geez i must have boiled 3gallons in the last 4 hours at wide open throttle.....oh well the longer it takes = more refreshments...

But I am not "superman" Don so going to pull the plug soon and catch some Zzzz

Be safe and enjoy the best time of the year!

Sly

TerryEspo
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
In the house, finnishing on the stove, grabbed approx. 40 gallons of sap today from the lovely trees.

Yet, again today, the weatherman said poor conditions for sap but was wrong, yeah !!

Hoping to get 3/4 of a gallon of light syrup all bottled tonight.

Hope all are doing fine.

Back after to see what I am missing.

Terry

Sly011
03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Awesome keep us(me) posted.

Sly

steam maker
03-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Boilin here made 40 gallons tonight , time for bed

Ren
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
In the shack boiling! I have the DMB Across The Pond DVD playing and a boiling soda in my hand!:D I am trying to get caught up. I still have about 150 gal of sap in the storage barrels and didn't collect today's sap because all my storage barrels were full. I have 35 liters (9.3 gal) of what looks like medium to filter and bottle. Things are good!

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Ok I'm still up. Well past 24 hours. About 39. Got a little distracted during the day so I didnt finish boiling all my sap.
So here I am finishing the boil down and I'm short a pan. Looks to be a few more hours yet.

How's everyone? Don go night night yet?

The crazy things we do for syrup. But its sooooooo good!

backyard sugaring
03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Just finished up should be all done Sat. Lee

TerryEspo
03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Done for this eve.

Finished with,,,,110 OZ, or 3250 ML, or .86 of a gallon.7557

Filtered great, nice and light colored, bottled at 185F, glad its done for this eve. Didn't plan on boiling this afternoon, but a pleasant surprise.

Good luck to all tonight.

Terry

sg5054
03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Just couldn't do it tonight. No energy. Bills to pay etc etc. Life is getting in the way. Boiled all day until late on Sunday, collected 40 g's on Monday and went until 11, 80 g's on Tuesday and again until 11, decided to rest tonight and cleaned the pan all nice and shiny to restart tomorrow. Got to get hopping though as I'm sitting on about 275 g's of sap! I froze 6 gallon milk jugs to toss in the tank tomorrow am before work. It's getting warm outside and I'm getting nervous....
And my yard is turning into a mud hole. My lawn has taken a hell of a beating this year.

brass maple
03-27-2013, 09:31 PM
finished for the night. fixed up an old wood stove to boil on. took the top off so a 12 x 14 inch pan can sit on the flame. goes slow but am loving it. made just under a quart of finished and am proud of it. having a great time. now if i can make more tomorow before i drink all i made tonight.lol good night all

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Great job Terry. Thanks for taking pictures to show us.

Keep on having fun brassmaple. That's what it's all about. :)

Yellzee
03-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Just wrappin up for the night. 10 liters bottled and after 4 nights im tired out. Still way behindabout 200 gallons to boil or 20 ish hours for me.

SWEETER CREATIONS
03-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Just finished for the night to date 209 gallons mostly light amber few gallons of medium amber . Shooting for 500 gallons, good luck to all .

sugarmangraham
03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
I just shut down for the night. I got 50 gallons of sap into the pan tonight, its all I got time for. Good thing is I got 80 more gallons of sap today to go with the 55 I still have in the other storage tank. No work Friday so it looks like I'll have plenty of time to boil. Speaking of work, DonMcjr, I haven't seen you around the shop lately, lol

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Like the energizer bunny............still goin!!

Ren
03-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Thats it for me tonight. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

jgrenier
03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
just finished earlyest in three nights

stewardsdairy
03-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Got home last night at 3 and made it home tonight at 2:30. Sap is flooding me. But that's a good thing! Spring break starts Friday so I will be able to start gathering before 6 pm. I bet I'm the grumpiest teacher in school tomorrow!

DonMcJr
03-28-2013, 04:42 AM
I just shut down for the night. I got 50 gallons of sap into the pan tonight, its all I got time for. Good thing is I got 80 more gallons of sap today to go with the 55 I still have in the other storage tank. No work Friday so it looks like I'll have plenty of time to boil. Speaking of work, DonMcjr, I haven't seen you around the shop lately, lol

I'm on Nights and I'm on medical getting surgery on my right arm April 8th. My Stepson has been doing all the right hand lifting and it sucks not being able to use it but I manage.

wnybassman
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
15 gallons into the 60+ I have to do today. That number will likely go way up as the trees broke loose again and are dripping pretty good.

DonMcJr
03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Man I got it down to 20 Gallons from that long 17 hour boil and as of right now I am back up to 75 gallons and counting cause the flow isn't stopping! Looks like a Boil Friday night/Saturday....:cool:

stewardsdairy
03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Man I got it down to 20 Gallons from that long 17 hour boil and as of right now I am back up to 75 gallons and counting cause the flow isn't stopping! Looks like a Boil Friday night/Saturday....:cool:

A blessing and a curse! It's either too much sap and not enough time or too much time and no sap!

sg5054
03-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I'll be boiling right through the weekend at this rate. Picked up 25 gallons for 6 buckets/3 trees this am. I think I'm gonna be tired.

325abn
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM
I am right now after a drastic change iny arch! With GNR cranked!!! :) "PATIENCE" Perfect song for sappin!!

Shawn
03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Still as Treetapper Going:cool:

TreeTapper2
03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
3am was it for me last night. Only got 6 hours of sleep and the eyeballs could not stay closed because of the sun.
Checked the buckets as of 4pm 42 gallons and the trees are dripping mad. I expect over 100 gallons for Saturday boil. May get started Friday and sweeten the pans. These late nights are killer.

farmall h
03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Started @ 8am...500 gallons sap left to go. Gotta leave a little seed for tomorrow!:) Need an RO...

Mountain Winds Farm
03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
55 gallons made in last 2 days

PACMAN
03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I started boiling Tuesday and have boiled every day since, we got done early today. As of now we have made 12 gallons and the trees havent even opened up yet. It should only get better.

sugarmangraham
03-28-2013, 11:03 PM
I boiled 50 gallons yesterday another 50 gallons tonight and will probably boil the next few days to get caught up since I have the next few days off of work.
Hey Don, I knew you were on nights but didn't realize you were on medical. I hope your surgery is successful.

DonMcJr
03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Hey Don, I knew you were on nights but didn't realize you were on medical. I hope your surgery is successful.

Thanks so do I lol! I never had surgery and don't want it but I have to no other choice. Cast for a month then Thearapy for 2-4 months until I can lift 5 pounds...I don't wanna grrr! LOL!

TerryEspo
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Fast post,,,,,been boiling since late afternoon, grabbed another maybe 60 gallons today,,,all is boiled, just sifting through the filters as I type.

Going to re-heat and bottle and then get my butt into bed.

Day 4 of good weather and great sap running.

Better yet still to come....YeeHaa !!

Good luck to all.

Terry

Run Forest Run!
03-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Go Terry go! The Easter Bunny is going to drown if he comes to your house!

DonMcJr
03-29-2013, 12:56 AM
I'll be boiling again Saturday morning til? Tomorrow I have to spli the face cord of woods smaller, finish and bottle yesterday's boil, and collect sap.

Hopefully the trees don't stop and go buddy with the barely freezing temps at night the next week....

chicken123
03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Just started boilling about 3 hours ago!

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Here I go again! No holiday dinner for me tonight. It'll be soup and crackers and a gorgeous boil going. Great day today.

DonMcJr
03-29-2013, 02:37 PM
UGH! I gotta get moving I have a Headache from hell and I HAVE to split my logs smaller so I can boil tomorrow morning...and I Have to finish and bottle the "near-up" in the Fridge! Woke up at 11am and headache was so bad I laid back down and just woke up and STILL have it. Must be weather related or something...any remedies I tried Motrin and sinus medicine...

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Try a deep shoulder and neck massage, that works wonders for me. Hopefully your wife is home, because the neighbours will likely slam the door in your face if you ask them.

Feel better soon!

Oh, and I'm still boiling and now thanking my lucky stars that I don't have a headache. What a brutal thing to have to deal with today.

highlandcattle
03-29-2013, 02:45 PM
I suffer from migraines and sinus. try a cold pack on your forehead and the back of your neck in a dark, quiet room. Over the counter migraine tabs will really help. I'm NOT a medical specialist, just a fellow sufferrer! Check with your doc if this doesn't stop. Hope you feel better.

DonMcJr
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks! I get them once in a blue moon and it seems to be weather related. It feels a little better I'm just gonna bite the bullet and do what I have to do!

BrianL
03-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Need a break, been boiling in my 2x2 flat pan since yesterday, 12 hours yesterday, will be sixteen today and tomorrow, maybe Sunday as well. Gotta love it. Averaging 30 -40 gallons of sap all week except yesterday, only 20. Need RO

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Im boiling now, my last 30 gallons of sap! did 30 last night, will do 30 tonight, then finish both batches tomorrow into liquid goodness.

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey SmellsLikeSyrupNH, how much finished syrup have you made?

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Karen,
I just made this post on the New Hampshire Page, its got all my stats:
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?20259-Well-my-season-will-end-tomorrow-morning

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Sorry Scott. It slipped my mind that you'd posted your totals. I even commented on it! Duh. That "OCD" chart is priceless. I consider that a very endearing quality in a person.;) I've made enough notes to choke a horse. You'd think I was planning a new world order with the pages of stats I've made.

I've got the last of today's sap on my burner now, and it's just at the stage when it can flash burn. I'd better retrieve it!

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Filtering the niter and crud out of my "nearup".

MapleLady
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
It would be soooo much easier Karen, without that darned 'niter'! :D

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Sorry Scott. It slipped my mind that you'd posted your totals. I even commented on it! Duh. That "OCD" chart is priceless. I consider that a very endearing quality in a person.;) I've made enough notes to choke a horse. You'd think I was planning a new world order with the pages of stats I've made.

I've got the last of today's sap on my burner now, and it's just at the stage when it can flash burn. I'd better retrieve it!

LOL no worries at all Karen! :-)

DonMcJr
03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Wood split and stacked and the Sugar Shack is all ready to start the boil when I get up tomorrow. Dinner time then finish what's in the fried and bottle then BED!

wnybassman
03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Wood split and stacked and the Sugar Shack is all ready to start the boil when I get up tomorrow. Dinner time then finish what's in the fried and bottle then BED!

Same here, just before dark I got everything ready to go so all I have to do when I get up is light the paper. I have 75 gallons ready to go, plus whatever runs tonight. That has been getting slower and slower though. I took the day "off" today to go visit a buddy and his syrup operation. While I was there he had a huge load of wood scrap from a woodworking company delivered. He didn't need it all and sold me all I could stuff in my truck for $10. Mostly hardwoods, but a fair amount of softer woods mixed in. All kiln dried stuff and splits really easy with a small hand maul too. Should make for a ripping fire!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/wood_zps8fa5407b.jpg

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Just finished the sryup on the stove. Another 1.5L for me today! BTW, it was at 39:1. Not bad. :) Crystal clear and, yes of course, light fancy again.

sugarmangraham
03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Started boiling at 10am this morning and limped along til about 7pm. My blower crapped out on me and then my 12v transfer pump crapped out on me and thats when I had had enough for the day. Got thru about 80 gallons of sap today though. Will be back at it again tomorrow as early as possible.

huntingken111
03-29-2013, 10:40 PM
still boiling but may call it quits and got to bed at midnight give it all tomorrow brode up a buch of skids and tried them wow the heat is awesome from them but burns quick have 200 gallons at home and probably another 130 in the woods again good things kids have spring break so next week they can keep boil going during day and I can sleep,

TerryEspo
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Sitting and waiting while another batch is going through the filters.
ANOTHER...60 gallons of sap gathered today.
This is my 4th eve in a row boiling and getting my much anticipated syrup,,,happy, happy.

Hoping to attain 1.5 gallons tonight of wonderful light fancy syrup.

Good luck to all boiling !!

Terry

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm so pleased to hear about your successful 4 days Terry. You've earned it!

shane hickey
03-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Boil boil boil the neibors say that's all they see from day light to dark. The evaporator hasent shut down in 4 days so its another long night for me. Or at least till 3 then my dad runs the first shift. I would be so far behind if it wasn't fair him.

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Got a late start but started boiling at 2:30pm...my honey bees want in they smell the syrup! Collected 35 gallons from the 26 buckets and with the tube line steady stream im at 130 gallon waiting to hit the fire! Gonna boil til midnight and hopefully get through a majority of the 130 gallons.

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Man im not able to stream it in faster than the tube line taps are coming in! That means ill never catch up!

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Well its summer in here...90 f and I cant open the door cause my honeybees are trying to get the syrup!

not_for_sale
03-30-2013, 03:01 PM
I boiling. 75907591

Got my Autofeed hooked to the Flux capacitor.

Preheater with forced thermo siphon inside the stack.

7.0 % into the preheater. Outflow of the preheater is 9 %

Yesterday's haul

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Sweet notforsale!
I need. A setup like that!

not_for_sale
03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Here's a picture of all pans boiling and the preheater pump.

not_for_sale
03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Here is the preheater setup. I am running inside the stack with 20 ft 3/8 copper. Use a topsflow pump that can handle 230 F at 145 psi. Pick up the feed on the hot side and only use the back pan as a reservoir since 20 ft is a little too long. Will shorten it for the next boil.

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Cool I want an RO but wanna build it...

not_for_sale
03-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Just a pump a filter and a membrane and you instantly need way less time for the same syrup. Less wood too.

ohio sugar
03-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Started at 7 this morning.

ohio sugar
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
70 gallons and this is what's left. Almost there!

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Well with the sap incoming im finally ahead and got the one tank down to only 12 gallons in it...still have 2 full 55 gallon tanks too!

huntingken111
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
After 30 hour soak my buckets and bags were over flowing feels like liquer abuse except sap collected 285 gallons I'm in trouble. had two fires going dropping to one for the night finished 5 gallons already I'm going to have to go to work tomorrow night just to get a day off. Pulled 34 taps at the distant property since I had them in since feb. 9. They still gave up 60 gallons.

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Boiked 40 gallons since 3pm....gonna keep at it until 130 am then gotta goto bed to make it to easter dinner. Then boil again tomorrow night so I have room for the bucket taps when I empty them Monday...

Sako
03-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Just walked in the house at 10:30 from todays boil, started fire at 2:00 cooked down 180 gallons. I love my new Smokey lake pan.(Great job Jim S. and again thanks).
My project for next year, preheater in the steam hood.

DonMcJr
03-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Wow I need a pan like that!

stewardsdairy
03-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Long night ahead. Started at 8:30 tonight and sap is still coming in!

Sako
03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Wow I need a pan like that!

I will recommend to anyone building an arch. Put the AOF & AUF right away. When we shut the blower off during reloading, the boil resumes evenly once the door is closed, when we turn the blower back on the syrup pans go to intense rapid boil, the intensity is in the flue pan, the sap is erupting so violently that it often comes over the divider between the flue and syrup sections, we get a good laugh when we can see sap erupt so high we think it is hitting the steam hood. Proof is when we get our treat once in while due to the maple sugar seeping out between the pan and the hood from the intense boil.

DonMcJr
03-31-2013, 01:32 AM
What's " AOF & AUF "?

stewardsdairy
03-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Air under fire and air over fire

DonMcJr
03-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Are you using Compressed Air?

dufftj
03-31-2013, 02:58 AM
Hey Don do you ever sleep?

Tim

stewardsdairy
03-31-2013, 03:32 AM
Vortex arch. Low pressure fan under fire and high pressure with jets midway up fire box facing front and back

shane hickey
03-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Still boiling its been going on now for over 75 hours +

DonMcJr
03-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey Don do you ever sleep?

Tim

I went to sleep right after you posted that and just woke up! Easter then boiling later again!

Run Forest Run!
03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm boiling!

DonMcJr
03-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Look how Hot Karen is she's Boiling! LOL!:lol:

shane hickey
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Finally finished and going to bed night maple traders

DonMcJr
03-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Happy Easter! Finally got home...stoked the evaporator at 12:30am and im boiling until my tanks are empty....got 130 gallons to boil down!
Anyone else joining me tonight?

wnybassman
03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Happy Easter! Finally got home...stoked the evaporator at 12:30am and im boiling until my tanks are empty....got 130 gallons to boil down!
Anyone else joining me tonight?

Nope, just finished bottling. lol

Have fun!!

Run Forest Run!
03-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Sorry Don, I just bottled today's batch after boiling all afternoon. And BTW I saw your earlier comment to me. That was very funny. Have a successful night!

DonMcJr
03-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Lol im a loner tonight? I'm going to cry! Everyone have sweet dreams tonight! ...

Run Forest Run!
04-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Just to keep you in the loop, my total today was another 1.78 Litres - that's just shy of a 1/2 gallon. Guess what grade it was.

Of course. It's light fancy. Good thing it tastes wonderful, but it would be nice to have some flavour variety for when I'm cooking, baking or just pouring.

DonMcJr
04-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Boil...what...#7 right? Im losing track! Heres a photo im gonna finish on the propane while boiling down on the half pint!

Run Forest Run!
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Woah that's one huge batch right there!

Today's batch was #5 for me. I've made so much more than last year and having a ball doing it!

I have no idea how long our sap will run, but I'm starting to think the unthinkable - if I will stop making syrup before the sap runs out. I can't believe that I am actually wondering if I will have too much syrup to use up before next year's season starts. Mind you, it's interesting to see how many surprise visitors I've been getting just popping in to say "hi". I think the word has gotten around that I'm making syrup. :lol:

DonMcJr
04-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Light grade again eh? Wow youd think it would get darker...

Keep making it as long as you can it will sell if you cant use it. The way I have it figured if next year is as good as this year I will have everything I bought paid for and be saving money for a bigger evaporator!

DonMcJr
04-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Everyone here that are regulars have to start beekeeping for honey so we can talk all year on the bee keeping forum too!

DonMcJr
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Chit I just burnt all the sweet in my half pint pan! Grrrrr. ...what a mess!:evil:

brass maple
04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
it has been awfull quiet on this tread lately. no buddy making syrup this weekend

brohnson
04-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Yep, I am finishing about 3 gallons of syrup right now on the stove as I watch the Michigan game, GO BLUE!

Sap bucket farms
04-06-2013, 10:07 PM
We finshed today. What of hours. we made 107 gal on a 2x6 a lot of hours best season we are looking into 3x10 cdl pellet evaperator if anyone has used one can you let us know how liked it

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Boiled all day yesterday and almost all of today (except for the time I had to run for more propane). Just put away my fourth pan of sweet. If I took the time now to boil down all of my 'nearup' to syrup I'd never be able to stay ahead of my sap right now. I figure my best plan is to boil down as much sap as quickly I can because I'm really close to running out of storage.

jgrenier
04-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Just finished for the night tomorrow should be my last boil maybe Monday if the vac. keeps pulling it in.

wnybassman
04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Towards the end of finishing up my last batch of the year on the stove. Another hour or so and I should be all bottled and cleaned up inside........................................then I'll go out and start pulling taps. Not sure I'll clean stuff outside today with the 900 mph winds we have.

chevypower
04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Just got done boiling a couple of hours ago, we made 55 gallons of nice medium amber.

MapleLady
04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Boiled all day yesterday and almost all of today (except for the time I had to run for more propane). Just put away my fourth pan of sweet. If I took the time now to boil down all of my 'nearup' to syrup I'd never be able to stay ahead of my sap right now. I figure my best plan is to boil down as much sap as quickly I can because I'm really close to running out of storage.

Wow! Sounds like you are in the middle of a great 'run' Karen! Enjoy! (I'm done down here in New Hampshire :( )

chevypower
04-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Don, sorry about your sweet... sounds like you caught it before you cooked your pans though!

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Wow! Sounds like you are in the middle of a great 'run' Karen! Enjoy! (I'm done down here in New Hampshire :( )

MapleLady, QUICK come help me! :D I've just taken off a giant stock pot full of as-close-as-I-dare-to-go 'nearup' and it is sitting beside the stove waiting for its turn. In the meantime I'm boiling, boiling, boiling on my two turkey fryers. I had to change the location of my set-up today as the wind is vicious! I'm now set-up outside the garage doors with the cars strategically placed to block the wind - but not close enough to get covered in sticky steam. That would end my sugaring fun pronto! Don't want to get into trouble by messing up the cars. :lol:

Yellzee
04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Going strong in belleville, someone not in The business may not appreciate it but since 4 pm i've been boiling, had a pot finishing, split wood, washed filters, cleaned up the shack and moved wood from
The coming rain.... Whew, i sure love this relaxing hobby

treehugger
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
50 last gallons to go of my last boil of the season. Bittersweet!

fishman
04-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Trying to boil 150 gallons tonight between watching the basketball game. Looks like we still have at least 2 weeks left in the UP.

Yellzee
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Still going, just bottled batch 14 got 7.5 litres. Still lots of sap to go! Going till 11:30 i think. Father in law back tomorrow.

Daveyboy
04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi Don
Just finishing my last boil for this year. It smells okay, but looks like used motor oil. I am new to this site, but this is my 11th year, the last four on a half pint. I have 52 taps and should finish with about 16 imp. gallons. Except for this boil it has been an exceptional year for quality.
My wife and I are looking forward to a week of rest and golf in Virginia next week.

Yellzee
04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
On the home stretch after fatherinlaw boiled all day. Maybe 15 gallons left and will use most of that to chase the sweet out. Will be quite a giod tally when i add this all up. Last batch we just bottled was a great amber, very sweet and quite a bit of flavour.

Run Forest Run!
04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Yup, I'm boiling too.

There must be a market for some well-heeled women willing to pay big money for these high end organic sugar steam facials that I've been enjoying for what seems like forever.

jnmartin
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
I am but it's about to come to a happy end. I've been boiling for 4 days and have about 3 gallons to go, then it'll just be a matter of the chubby lady singing the final chorus of the Maple Syrup Blues.

MapleLady
04-09-2013, 07:23 PM
You've got a good idea there Karen -- some people pay big $ for facials --- there's got to be a market out there! Happy boiling!

Yup, I'm boiling too.

There must be a market for some well-heeled women willing to pay big money for these high end organic sugar steam facials that I've been enjoying for what seems like forever.

Run Forest Run!
04-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I've finished up for the night. A little more boiling tomorrow and I'll be able to finish off on the stove. This was the last of the 274 litres (72 gallons) of sap that poured out of the trees on the weekend. I will be so happy to get my kitchen put back together. It looks like a bomb went off in there. Sugaring equipment and supplies are everywhere!

jnmartin
04-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Me too Karen, I've got an hour or less of boiling to do outside before I bring it in to finish and start the arduous filtering operation. There's something over 5 gallons of near syrup to fnish. Then I've got 3 gallons of pints already bottled but with quite a bit of niter in the bottom that I intend to redo. I can't stand having crap settle in my syrup bottles! Uggggh. Did I say I hate the filtering part? I utterly detest it! I finally ordered some pre-filters and an Orlon filter after trying everything I could find in the house short of my underwear. Well almost everything. Speaking of which, when my sap hauler caught me perusing through her bra drawer, I thought a divorce might be in the making. I try to encourage her to expand her horizons just a bit but sometimes she can be a little narrow minded. Sigh

Bottling isn't so bad. My wife has canned practically all her life and she gladly takes the lead in that part of the operation...but she continues to insist I furnish my own filtering material.

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Just a liiiiiiiiiitle bit longer to boil and then I'm cleaning up to finish on the stove. Brace yourself everyone, it looks like I'm going to have a batch of something OTHER than light!

Yellzee
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
My last post here, bottled my final batch this evening and am now celebrating the completion of a huge season!

yooper
04-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Still cooking the sugar here in the UP. It's been a great year and it looks like the sap will still be flowing at least another week or so.

fishman
04-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Just finished boiling down 125 gallons. THink I'll wait till tomorrow to bottle.

TerryEspo
04-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Well the trees are awke here in Northern Ontario. Got way way lots of sap yesterday. Boiled for hours and ended up making 2.4 US gallons. My biggest batch yet. Great sunny day again today, but I,m tired, lol. I will probably store the sap till tomorrow.

Good luck all.

Terry

SWEETER CREATIONS
04-14-2013, 02:30 PM
We are finally giving in the last of the sap will be boiled in about 1 hour as we finish up the season today. Tapped the trees on 2/16/13 had enough for this year almost 60 days a big thanks to all of you that answered many of my questions this year may you all be prosperous this season . Mike

Mudcat_21
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Cooking down the 375 gal we got tonight. Finally had a good run! Cooking and listening to the hockey game, doesn't get any better.

Mudcat_21
04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Cooking again in east central MN. Have about 200 gal to cook down then head to woods to collect more! We got hammered by a snow storm last night, should make the trees run some more.

Mudcat_21
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Collected another 200 this morning, should be done cookin by 9 tonight.

supersapper
04-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Still going in Annandale Mn. 80 plus gallons of sap today off 30 taps. Another 80 gallons in totes!!!! 10 gallons of syrup so far!!! A great year!!!

SwiftriverBob
04-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Finished boiling and started pulling taps today here in the Western Mountains of Maine. Can't wait to do it again next year. What a relaxing hobby.

Mudcat_21
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Just fired the cooker up to tackle another 200 gallons here in east central MN. 3.5% on the sugar today.

Mudcat_21
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Still cookin', got about another 2hrs to go. Season has changed, getting some dark syrup now. That's alright, I like the flavor of dark! :)

fishman
04-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Also have about 2 hours left. Boiling down 115 gallons and it looks like this will be my first batchf dark this year. Pulled All the taps today they were running like crazy but I called uncle. Had enough for this year.