PDA

View Full Version : Bricking Instructions

Diesel Pro
03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Bought a new Wesfab 2x4 arch and I'm not sue about the instructions that I received. I have the panel liner boards installed and moving on the the fire brick, refractory cement, and blanket material.

For starters is it necessary, would it benefit to mist the components with water first? I know a mason would typically dampen his scratch coat so that it wouldn't draw out all the moisture.

Is it desireable to have a pronounced "grout line" in the refractory cement, or jsu fit the bricks snugly and let the cement adhere the back side?

I believe I was told to put bricks down below the grates, but that does not seem right?

Paul VT
03-25-2013, 08:42 PM
I can't answer all your questions.
But when I have bricked archs that I have had I used a spray bottle to wet some areas the other thing I have done is submerge the fire brick in a bucket of water before putting the refractory cement to them. It is amazing how much air will come out of the bricks. And how fast they seem to dry when you take them out of the water.
Hope this helps.

Dave Puhl
03-25-2013, 09:25 PM
not sure what you have for grates but you need all the air going up through them.as for cement I dry fitted and didnt use any cement on my 2x6 7yrs ago and it still fine.

Diesel Pro
03-25-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm thinking about dry fitting myself. Do I need bricks in the ash pan area below the grates?

Dave Puhl
03-26-2013, 09:32 PM
no need for bricks under the grate.