PDA

View Full Version : Digital hydrometers

Diesel Pro
03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
I see reference to readings lke 2.4 and other decimal equivalents. What sort of hydrometer are you using to do this?

Is there such a thing as a direct read digital hydrometer? Reasonably priced? Dual range to test both sap and syrup?

I did a quick check of some of my sap this weekend but I did not check the temp. I only know that it was inside the cabin which never got over 50°f and my sap tested on the strong side of 3-1/2.

spencer11
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
The longer hydrometers have very accurate readings, or when they say a very septic reading like you mentioned, they are using a refractometer, which is kinda like a digital hydrometer

batsofbedlam
03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Those accurate readings were probably done with a digital refractometer.

Diesel Pro
03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Is analog old school sufficient or is the refractometer that much better? I can see where it would be nice not to have a cup to fill drain and wash etc.

Snowy Pass Maple
03-26-2013, 01:06 AM
I got the Hanna digital refractometer - it is awesome for sap - think they were $140 at Verona show. Only have to break a few hydrometers for it to pay off :-) You can just walk around checking buckets in seconds. Also very handy with a RO to check when you swap your rinse line to drain (getting the sugar out of the membrane first) and just monitoring your tanks if you recirculate. I can't imagine not having it now.

For syrup, you have to let the sample cool a bit and wait for a minute or so for it to stabilize... I wouldn't say it's very good for using at draw off; it's OK when bottling but you have to take a decent sized sample (maybe 1/4 cup) into some cool vessel to help it quickly cool down and not keep evaporating water, else it'll throw it off. It's temperature compensated to a point, but really doesn't do as well with hot samples. I still use my hydrometer for finishing syrup.

Diesel Pro
03-26-2013, 09:43 AM
What about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Refractometer-Automatic-Compensation-Resolution/dp/B007Z4IN58/ref=pd_sbs_indust_2

Indiana-Jones
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I bought one of these from Amazon. It seems to work well for me. I was able to measure the difference of normal sap 2.5 and sap from frozen buckets where I through out the ice. 5.25

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Temperature-Compensating-Refractometer-REFRACTOMETER/dp/B002ISDQ0S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_2

I think that this is the one. There maybe two types, one with a scale for raw sap and another for syrup.

rayi
03-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Can you take a few drops right off the evaporator. How easy is it to calibrate and clean

shane hickey
03-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Yesterday I had a custom boiler bring me sap and tested it it read 3.7 he thought that was real high so I grabbed another one off the shelf that one read 3.2 so I hope I haven't screwed myself this whole season. I know every hydrometer is different but I bought three of them and everyone reads a different number I thought that was unbelievable. Sorry for steeling this thread

NH Maplemaker
03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Check this one out . www.misco.com eMaple is the one your looking for! Not cheap !!

happy thoughts
03-27-2013, 08:42 AM
I see reference to readings lke 2.4 and other decimal equivalents. What sort of hydrometer are you using to do this?

You can also get decimal equivalents like that with a glass hydrometer. The longer (12") sap hydrometers are marked in tenths of Brix.

happy thoughts
03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Can you take a few drops right off the evaporator.

My gut feeling is no because you could have syrup of several densities flowing around in hot currents in the same pan or pot and gradients would likely exist in a continuous flow evaporator. One or two drops may not be representative of the syrup density of the whole pan or the portion you will be bottling. It would seem more accurate and representative if you were to draw off some syrup and then sample from that as the sample would be mixed. Anyway, that would be my thinking:)

Diesel Pro
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Check this one out . www.misco.com eMaple is the one your looking for! Not cheap !!

Looks nice

I'll get my feet wet with the cheap Milwaukee, but that one will be on the list for next season.

I'll be interested to see how the refractometer reads compared to the old school.