PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Out

valleyman
03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Pulled my spouts for the season due to schedule conflicts coming up on Easter weekend. Coloring eggs and Easter Dinner with the family or one last boil? My wonderful wife helped me answer that question.

No complaints. I had great season. With only 13 taps I finished just over 6 gallons of syrup which was well beyond expectations. I can only imagine if I tapped into the additional 20 or so trees I had available. There's always next season.

I'm looking forward to hearing all of your reports on the 2013 season yields. What an amazing season.

Run Forest Run!
03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
You should be very proud of that total! Great job!

Outdoorsman0490
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
I tapped late, I think march 1, this was my first season since I was a kid. I made 1.75 gal off my 18" by 20" pan in the first 2 weeks, then I got my 2' by 4' pan with preheater on Friday and setup the block arch, I ran about 80 gal this weekend and ended up with another 1.75 gal. Would like to get enough for one more run mid week. I also got per filter and filter from leaderevaporator this weekend and have perfectly clear syrup.

Can't wait for next year.

lisound
03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I planned my last boil this past weekend but didn't pull taps as i ran out of daylight. I'll see what's in the buckets tomorrow. I think it's going to dry up pretty quick down here to the south. Temps are above freezing the whole week.
At least I can use my wood stove again and not fear I'd use the last of the wood on the evaporator. :)

Outdoorsman0490
03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a tree service so wood for the house and wood for outside is always abundant. We are in a part of Trumbull that is pretty high above sea level, always a few degrees colder than sea level, hope that gives us another couple days. I got 4 1/2 gals from last night to this afternoon between my 21 taps, but also a handful of moths

hodorskib
03-25-2013, 08:29 PM
This has been the best year in the 13 I have making syrup. I put out 75 taps most using sap bags. With what's been bottled and what's in the pan I am at 23 gallons all light and medium and crystal clear. I am pulling everything Thursday night and last boil and cleanup Friday. What a year:o

lisound
03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Hey Outdoorsman,

I'm in monroe. let's talk about wood. I pull mine out of the woods but always looking for an easier way.
sent you a pm

Collected today from sunday night. 10g with a slight yellow color. from 20 trees.

markct
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
I still had good sap flow these last 2 days, im boiling off about 1700 gal of sap in the sugarhouse right now, making commercial syrup, not nasty c at all, just not a proper maple flavor in my opinion, so its going into barrels to go up to bascoms to help pay for the 10 inch filter press i want!

Outdoorsman0490
03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Only about 1/2 gal today, had 4 1/2 yesterday, and moths. I have this last 5 gal going in the kitchen, think that is all.

sr73087
03-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I pulled my taps tonight. I had almost no flow since Sunday. How is everyone else in the Trumbull/Monroe/Easton area doing?

lisound
03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
5g today. but only from my bigger trees. I started pulling taps on my smaller trees and the tap holes were dry as a desert.
Hoping to get 5 gal more by friday for a quick boil of only 20g.

the sap was still really sweet. but the buds were starting to swell. Some of my reds have popped small leaves.
it's over for sure.
clean up this weekend.

Overall, great first season. And thanks to Valleyman for a lot of wisdom. great asset to the forum.

valleyman
03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm humbled Scott, thanks. I couldn't of helped it weren't for all the great folks on this sight.

Great year that's for sure.

lisound
03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
all done. Taps were dry as a bone today. now the tough decision. dump the 15 gal i have or a quick little boil.