PDA

View Full Version : Sugar making near Stowe.

Sandersyrup
03-25-2013, 08:51 AM
My kids and I are on a trip to Stowe this week on a retreat with a group of professional photographers and I'm hoping to find a sugar shack or two to take my kids on a tour and take some photos of the process. Any makers nearby? I'm happy to share my photographs.

Cheers,
John Sanderson

steve J
03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
John I will be boiling this afternoon and probably all day tomorrow I am more of a hobbist with just a 2x4 evaporator and about 200 taps. I am about 20 miles from Stowe I suspect there may be some good operations much closer to you.

J. hutchins
03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
There are two operations that are set up for visitors

Nebraska Knoll Sugar farm-- nebraskaknoll.com -- located in nebraska valley
256 Falls Brook Lane, Stowe VT 05672
and
Stowe Maple Products located on rte 100 cant miss it.
2618 Waterbury Rd Stowe, VT 05672

Both should be in full swing this week, call to find out boiling times.

jake

Sandersyrup
03-26-2013, 05:25 PM
We happened to be staying less than 3 mild from both. Vermont Maple Products was closed but Nebraska knoll was cranking out beautiful light syrup and gave us a wonderful tour that ended with a sampling of syrup right off the evaporator. Sap was gushing in from 10k taps and they were filling barrels when we arrived. I picked up a gallon of fancy. I hope to visit the Cider House operation tomorrow.

Thanks for the advise! I'm not sure we can head out of town to visit the other place. Thanks for offering!