PDA

View Full Version : sap storage

the old guy
07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
A dairy serviceman has offered me a 400 gal bulk milk tank for less than salvage price if I will come and pick it up. the stirator works and the jacket is intact--but there is a dent in the jacket where he took it loose from the concrete and probably the refrigeration lines have been damaged. My question is does the tank have to cool? The sap will be cold when gathered and if the sap needs to be cooled we can just drop sap ice into it. Also does the sap need to be stirred? If we run the sap through a UV light we should be able store it for a couple of days. What do you think?

The old guy

Fred Henderson
07-12-2006, 06:20 PM
The tank is already insulated so I see no need to put ice into it. Sap dose not need to be stirred. The tank will make a good storage place.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
The more ice you can put in it the better, I like to put ice in my 625 gallon milk tank. Where it is insulated, the ice won't melt very fast and it keeps the sap good and cold! :D I paid $ 400 for my 625 gallon last summer and well worth the investment. This was double what he was going to get scrap, so he was happy! :D

brookledge
07-13-2006, 07:15 AM
I have used milk tanks for years and they work great. For the most you can figure the tank to be worth $1.00/gallon and if you get it for less than that it is a good deal. As far as using the aggitator I took mine all out. I don't feel it is necesary and it is one more thing for bacteria to grow on and also makes it harder to wash it out. With the insulation in the tank it will stay cool on its own but you could use ice or use the refrigeration unit if it still works. Some times when I collect sap from buckets that is frozen I dump that in.
Keith

mountainvan
07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
The uv light will increase the storage time as long as the sap is filtered before the uv and the tank you're putting the sap in is clean. Insulated milk tanks are the way to go for sap storage.

Sugarmaker
07-17-2006, 05:33 PM
All my sap tanks are uninsulated, the sap may not stay as cool but we try to boil the same day so it doesn't set long.
As far as adding ice I would recommend 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water and frozen, this would avoid adding additional water to the sap.
At Asbury woods this year it was warm and they dumped a lot of ice in the sap and diluted it so much it took forever to make syrup.

Its Hot! 94 today in Albion PA.

Worked in the sugar house Saturday and yesterday. I completed the soldering of the pipes from the float box to the front of the flue pan. Not really sure if this will help but will try it next year. I ended up with a brass ball valve at the end of each feed line. I can finish scrubbing the pans and start putting the hoods back on soon. Then I need to brush the stainless on the arch and repaint the black on the castings.
Also canned 5 gallons of medium syrup and 42 lb of honey.
I did move a pair of bee hives to Jake's Zimmerman's buckwheat field near Cambridge Springs. I will check them in a day or two.

Regards,
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
As far as frozen ice, I just freeze sap so I am not adding any extra water! :D

the old guy
07-17-2006, 09:54 PM
WELL I BOUGHT THE TANK TODAY. IT IS A VACUUM TANK AND HAS THICKER INSULATION AND THICKER METAL. IT HOLDS 450 GALLONS AND HAS A STAINLESS BALL VALVE THAT HAS JUST BEEN REMACHINED. HE SOLD IT TO ME FOR $300. I THINK I WILL MOUNT THE TANK ON WHEELS SINCE THE LEGS ARE NOT EXACTLY EVEN. THE GUY OFFERED TO SELL ME SOME 5/8 FOOD GRADE HOSE FOR ABOUT 80 CENTS A FOOT AND STAINLESS MILK BUCKETS REALLY CHEAP. THEY ARE THE VACUUM MILKER BUCKETS BUT THEY HOLD 5 GALLONS AND MIGHT WORK FOR DRAW OFF.

THE OLD GUY

Pete33Vt
07-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Great deal on the tank, We use milk pails for draw off and they work great. Hope you have good luck on getting your tank mounted.

Upper 90s here, and muggy at night. I'm not complaining, before long winter will be here. Gardens doing the best ever. Any of you beekeepers out there know of any good sites on beekeeping. I would like to look into it? Maybe a hobby for next summer. Any info would be great.

Pete

Mike
07-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Pete, Thers a guy in Milton who sells bee supplys....Heading south on rt 7 Its the first trailer on the right past the milton diner........Id stop and talk to him...Im sure he can help ya..Have a good one....Mike

TWhite
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Pete, google Betterbee.com they have been good to do business. Great hobby, although I am sitting here telling you that with my eyes swollen shut from bee stings But that will go away in a day or two.

Thanks,
Todd

Pete33Vt
07-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Mike and TW thanks for getting back so quick. Will check out both.
I've been sitting here latly thinking about a life change, Getting sick of working for others and making peanuts, i'd rather work for myself be happy and make peanuts. Sounds Crazy I know but, its time. Starting with alot of looking for info and putting in alot of elbow grease. Maple will be a big part of it. Both with suagaring and maybe some consulting?!
Also looking into beekeeping, maybe dairy goats and alot of fresh veggies?! Hope all goes some what smooth. I could go on and on but thats another forum. Thanks again.
Pete

White Barn Farm
07-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Pete
I struck out on my own as a carpenter 12 years ago and have never looked back. Trained under a great boss and crew for 11 years prior to that. The freedom is great, earning much more money and am able to have more family time. It's scary at first but the rewards are worth it. Go into it prayerfully and things have a way of working out.
Good luck
Ed :D

Sugarmaker
07-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Pete,
Several links on my site to bee supply houses. Good luck if you choose a career change.
Just getting the forms ready to enter syrup and honey in the Crawford County fair here in NW PA.

I did gate the front syrup pan scrubbed and the front hood cleaned and in place. Nice to get the evaporator back together.

Chris

Russell Lampron
07-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Old Guy,

Sounds like you got a great deal on the tank. If you are planning to put vacuum to it you might want to have the refridgeration working. Putting a vacuum on the sap tends to heat it and will promote bacteria growth. The best part is that with a vacuum tank you don't need a releaser.

Russ

maplehound
07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
I have heard this idea of vaccuuming heating the sap. But how??????? I have used vaccuume tanks for years now and the temp gauge is never over 40. I sure don't think that is to warm on a 70 deg. day.
Ron