PDA

View Full Version : something in my sap

CTsugarMan
03-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Hey I'm down to my last 30 gallons, one of my 5 gal pails had some pink cotton candy looking stuff in it I was able to skim it out but I'm not sure if I should just tossed a 5 gallon pail any insight would be appreciated thanks

Paul VT
03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
As much as I would hate to waste the sap. I would dump it.

Dr. Bucket
03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Taste it before you do anything

happy thoughts
03-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a mold or fungus to me. I'd dump it and sanitize the bucket. If you're tempted to salvage it, I wouldn't taste it without boiling it for 10-15 minutes first.

Dr. Bucket
03-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Sounds like a mold or fungus to me. I'd dump it and sanitize the bucket. If you're tempted to salvage it, I wouldn't taste it without boiling it for 10-15 minutes first.

Please note: I said taste it; not, drink it!! Obviously, you will spit it out regardless.

Cheers,

George

mapleack
03-25-2013, 07:49 AM
If it skimmed out, boil the sap. Might make strong syrup, but it's still syrup!

happy thoughts
03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
No offense intended, george:) but I would still not advise tasting raw sap suspected of mold growth. Many molds are not harmful but some can produce toxins that even boiling may not inactivate under normal conditions though boiling should kill the mold itself. Some people are also highly sensitive to molds as well. In all likelihood the mold growing in that bucket is also growing in the sap especially at the surface. I still say dump it and sanitize the bucket so more sap isn't contaminated in the future.

Dr. Bucket
03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
No offense intended, george:) but I would still not advise tasting raw sap suspected of mold growth. Many molds are not harmful but some can produce toxins that even boiling may not inactivate under normal conditions though boiling should kill the mold itself. Some people are also highly sensitive to molds as well. In all likelihood the mold growing in that bucket is also growing in the sap especially at the surface. I still say dump it and sanitize the bucket so more sap isn't contaminated in the future.

Point taken - It appears you have given this more thought/insight than I have - better to be safe than sorry

Cheers,

George

40to1
03-25-2013, 11:06 AM
I had some pink sap too!
Actually the sap was crystal clear, but there was some pink residue at the bottom of the bucket.
I watered the trees with the sap. I didn't want to waste my time (or firewood) making funky syrup.