PDA

View Full Version : Another strange season here in upstate N.Y.

highlandcattle
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
We are sitting around waiting for a flow. Everything is frozen up. We have had some snow almost each day. Cold, windy(great for our windmills) Ron is cleaning out the tanks for when something happens. went ot pancake breakfast at Shaver-Hill in Harpersfield sat. Good crowd, good food, looked around at all the goodies, bought a few things as gifts. they were boiling water, as no sap. went on to Ingles in Richfield Springs for the first time. Small, neat, clean operation. He turned the pump on for us and there was sap ,but I think it was just the stuff sitting in the lines, they come really far across the field. Snow flurries all day and the snow drifted most of the roads across where we were. Glad for my little Honda Cr-V! Hoping for a nice run soon... Now after all these years we have the equipment and have done so poorly getting any syrup...sigh...

Rugburn
03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
We're all in the same boat. I'm going out to the bush after lunch for a look. Temps are supposed to be in the high 30's today. I think maybe I'll collect what fluid I have and chuck the ice. And they call this March madness!

130 Buckets
2x6 Grimm

concord maple
03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Same here in western NY. Been almost 2 weeks since we had a decent run. They are running alittle bit this afternoon that I will collect later this evening. Have over 40 gal of frozen solid sap in storage that I have begun to thaw. Maybe can boil later this week.

PACMAN
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Been waiting on mother nature for a month now. I got 170 gal of sap two weeks ago and havent got any since. Im in the northern adirondacks and my bush is 2000 ft elivasion and with over 3 ft of snow. The trees still havent opened up yet. Waiting isnt fun,but what else can ya do.lol I do believe when it does warm up,we will be busy.

Shawn
03-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Been shut down two weeks here. It was to be sun today and it did not come out, and dealing with a north wind. Has warmed up to 40 right now and some are running. We had six inches of snow from last storm last week here, around house its about gone but out in woods still have at least five inches and pipeline started a little.:cool:

bowtie
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
weird is one way to describe it!! my yard trees ran yesterday but i not my woods trees(hill). my wife talked to a bigger local producer they usually make 6000 gallons or so, this year they are at 1000. with maybe 3 weeks left,maybe, it can turn around quick but it will likely be well below normal in most of upstate new york. it is 34 in the valley here but spitting snow on and off today, with some sunshine it would run but with clouds it is shut tight.