PDA

View Full Version : Beer and Whiskey totals, before during and after sugar season

sugar daddy 1
03-24-2013, 08:12 AM
OK you asked for it, we are at a case of beer per 1000 gal of sap. Plus folks bring home brew for taste testing. Peach brandy , maple brandy , and whine too

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-24-2013, 09:30 AM
2 bottles of sappling, 1 bottle crown royal maple and 4 12 packs of various beers, the beer and crown are all me I had help with the sappling and these numbers don't count what the help brings for themselves I just counted up how much we have made it to date 66 gallons any one any one any one? These are a no BS numbers.

TerryEspo
03-24-2013, 09:40 AM
4 people last eve., one case of 24 beer, even a couple left over, shocking, lol.

Made about 1/2 gallon of light syrup, delicious.

Maybe my 3 or 4th boil, all small batches.

Saw maybe 3 cases of beer in the last 3 weeks.

Gotts get those numbers up !!:lol:

Terry

wnybassman
03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
OK you asked for it, we are at a case of beer per 1000 gal of sap. Plus folks bring home brew for taste testing. Peach brandy , maple brandy , and whine too

I think the original thought was how much beer and whiskey have you made. Or at least that's how I took it. :D

DonMcJr
03-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I go through a 6 Pack of Mt Dew when I boil and only 2 a day when I don't boil... Does that count? LOL I don't drink much but after I make some Mead with my Honey and Syrup that might change...

Tweegs
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Not much of a drinker, only had 1 beer so far this year.

I have, however, knocked off a combat bottle of Baileys, just a splash at a time in the coffee (shows how much coffee I drink)…Does that count? :lol:

twofer
03-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks SD. Now we have a thread with some activity.

So far our sugarhouse has gone through:

24 - Killians
12 - Bell's Best Brown Ale
2 - Professor IPAs

That means we're at 38 beers to 42 gallons of syrup or about a beer per gallon made. This cold spell is only going to keep throwing that ratio off.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-24-2013, 09:27 PM
well a friend came over and had me try some stuff in a mason jar, well I couldnt even do it after diluting it with syrup 120proof something or another So there is something out there I actually wont drink that has alcohol in it:o

dlucas
03-25-2013, 05:49 AM
2 bottles of Whitetail and a 1.75 of Fourty Creek and we still haven't had a good run yet. All this waiting is hard work.

sugar daddy 1
03-25-2013, 08:42 AM
You guys are to funny. Don put down the Dew all the corn syrup is bad for you a beer or 2 , some wine is better for ya.
Tweets Bailey's dose count. Our beer count is off now no sap this weekend so we worked on the wood pile about 25 cord of wood 4 cases of beer. Ready for the run this week. Looks like we could be making syrup to the 10 the of April haven't gone that late in yrs. 2011we went till April 6th.

DonMcJr
03-25-2013, 10:46 PM
You guys are to funny. Don put down the Dew all the corn syrup is bad for you a beer or 2 , some wine is better for ya.
Tweets Bailey's dose count. Our beer count is off now no sap this weekend so we worked on the wood pile about 25 cord of wood 4 cases of beer. Ready for the run this week. Looks like we could be making syrup to the 10 the of April haven't gone that late in yrs. 2011we went till April 6th.

If I must drink my beverage of Choice is Jager and Redbull... I'm actually allergic to something in Beer...:cry:

twofer
04-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks SD. Now we have a thread with some activity.

So far our sugarhouse has gone through:

24 - Killians
12 - Bell's Best Brown Ale
2 - Professor IPAs

That means we're at 38 beers to 42 gallons of syrup or about a beer per gallon made. This cold spell is only going to keep throwing that ratio off.

Going to have to tack on:

12 - Killians
4 - Dark Horse Scotty Karate Scotch Ales
4 - Bell's Oberon

We're at ~105 gallons of syrup and 58 beers. Our ratio is starting to skew towards 2 gallons of syrup to one beer. What is the North American Maple Council recommended beer to syrup ratio? :)

5 Oaks
04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I didn't know I needed to track the whole season. I will play better next year.

I am a small time guy. Last week was a record as I boiled down 160 gallons. Now that the cloud in my head is clearing up, here is my count, as best as I can remember.

Beer = 30 bottles (shared with a buddy), Junior Johnsons Strawberry Moonshine = 2 quarts. (ps don't eat the berrys. WOW) :o Mountain Dew..........6 Big slams, maybe more. That was from Friday noon to Monday morning about 1am.

Greenthumb
04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Several moose drools Friday night. Boiled late and into Saturday. Came down with a flu bug sat pm no more beer wife and inlaws did all cooking sunday while i tapped out. just got on my feet last night. Cooking very dark right right now on a week of vacation. Thinking we will be done tomorrow. By the way I may have a half pint pan for sale at the end of season. The wife having to boil on her own is starting to see our need to go bigger on a hobby we make no money at:lol: pm me if your looking

Lethalbowman
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
1st year making maple syrup. With advice from my dad who is on his 3rd year I have made 64 oz. of finished syrup so far. Wife is tired of me spending so much time outside "playing" with sap.

Mimaplefever
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
My wife too lol

regor0
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
30 pack busch light
12 pack of miller light
1/5th of crown maple (even though I didn't like it)
2 half gallons of BLACK VELVET
and haven't even had a boil yet, still waiting for the first good run.

JBIV
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM
The wife having to boil on her own is starting to see our need to go bigger on a hobby we make no money at:lol: pm me if your looking

Ha! I have the same problem. Now just have to get my wife to boil by herself and see my side of things. Good plan!

Vermont Creation Hardwood
04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
A real fine liquer can be made using a nice 12 year old single malt Scotch. The ratio is 3/4 malt, 1/4 syrup. Goes down very nicely, almost dangerously. This is better than Sortilege or Sapling. For an equivalent to those two the recipe is 3/4 your whiskey of choice and 1/4 syrup. Same thing, goes down very nicely.

5 Oaks
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Add 6 beers to my total, while taking down the "sap shack". I found a second moonshine jug. i don't think I drank it. ;)

red maples
04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I had to stop drinking while I was boiling!!!! geez get running around doing stuff and start going through beers like its water then its time to shut r down and look down to see how many you drank and your toast!!!

maple flats
04-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Zero!!! I'm not comfortable drinking while the evaporator is running. Too many things to keep watch on. Just like driving. If you must, drink after the clean up each day.

Hal
04-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Don't drink in the sugarhouse any more. If fact I don't drink much at all any more. But, my nephew was here for two weeks helping me set up, and he went through an 18 pack of Bud every day. The Sunday after Easter, and old friend showed up with his son and grandson, the son put away nearly a six-pack. Various passing late night vehicles have deposited empties along the road by the sugarhouse, does that count?

Olky2
04-18-2013, 09:54 AM
First Year making syrup! Had a great time, made 5 gallons last weekend on 180 gallons of sap. Still running like crazy, and collected another 80 gallons this week. One more boil and done. Had a blast!
Case of Miller Lite
1 liter of Mount Royal Rye whiskey

28 taps
34"x25" stainless pan
block arch

sugar daddy 1
04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
We take turns boiling , so we can tip a few back. I guess you can say we have a DB designated boiler.