PDA

View Full Version : sterilizeing spouts

nysugarmaker
01-28-2004, 07:38 PM
we are leaning more twards being as chemical free as possible. would like ideas on how best to sterilize spouts at tapping. Have been told a strong vodka will do the job. Just have to watch who is tapping!! Thanks, :D Dan

mapleman9000
01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Dan,

where in western ny are you located? i unfortunitely do not have an answer for you but i'm sure someone will.

Gerry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Dan,

I always carry a small spray bottle with me and I sprayed each taphole a couple of times as soon as I drill them with 4 parts water to one part of Clorox. Has always worked well over the years and doesn't seem to affect the trees!

nysugarmaker
01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Gerry, I am in forestville NY. about 35miles southwest of buffalo.

backyardsugarer
01-29-2004, 07:44 AM
At the NYS clinic the guy said strong vodka such as devils springs which is 170 proof! He said put it in a spray bottle and go to town. Makes sense, I am going to try it this year.

Chris

syrupmaker
01-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Chris..... remember your to spray just the taps, not one squirt for the tap and two for you.

Heres the math

number of taps X's 2 squirts to mouth

= smashed finger from seating taps, equip. lost that was dropped in snow,and risking chance of DWI on the way to liquor store for more vodka.

simple solution---- fingers will heal, can find equipment when the snow melts, plan ahead and buy a case of vodka !!!

So when are ya tapping ? i'll hold the spray bottle. :P

Rick

bigtreemaple
02-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Dan, I heard someone talk about using Hydrogen Peroxide. It worked for me last year. Breaks down to water and oxgen

Brian
02-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Maple man, Do you remember, glen said to use hydrogen peroxide if you are going to use any thing , at the sem last fall, I don't remember why but he said not to use alcohol because it does something to the tree , do you remember what it does? I don't remember!

Brian

mapleman3
02-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Brian, I believe he was saying if you do use alchohol, make sure drinking not rubbing alchohol... but he said if you needed to use H peroxide....diluted.

02-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Rick,

I am tapping presidents week some time unless it is still freezing.
Come on out. I would love to show you around my set up.

Chris

syrupmaker
02-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Chris...there is a good possibility i can come over that weekend,it will all depend on when Mapleking is tapping. I had mentioned to him that i would come over and help him tap also. When i find out for sure i'll let you know.

Rick

Brian
02-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Thank you Jim! That was it, I could not remember, there was too much info for this stuborn fool to take in. :lol:

Brian

mapleman3
02-03-2004, 03:06 PM
I would think the water for dilution would have to be distilled water to for sterilization. if you really want to do it right and not introduce any microbs...
see ya Saturday Brian.

Brian
02-03-2004, 04:31 PM
I can't wait for the seminar,I hope the weather holds off to make the trip easy for you Jim and for others that are driving up.Ruth was getting things ready for sat. I was there yesterday picking up some wire ties for my fathers woods.

Brian