PDA

View Full Version : Sap Hydrometer Instructions?

DonMcJr
03-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Ok I ordered a Sap Hydrometer and I'm about to go outside and test it. Opened the box and didn't see any instructions.

Searched the Forums and all I could come up with is use at 38 F.

Anything I should know and is there a Conversion chart for different temps?

While I'm at it anyone have a link to the Conversion Chart for different temps of a Syrup Hydrometer too?

THANKS!

Edit: Found this online but still need any conversion charts if anyone has a link handy...

How to Use a Sap Hydrometer

Sap Hydrometers will tell you the amount of Sugar Content in your sap straight from the tree. Depending on the type of sap hydrometer you have, tall or short, you will need a cup that is almost as tall as your sap hydrometer. Or you may just set the sap hydrometer in a pail or tank.

How to Use:
Sap Hydrometers are calibrated to work with cold sap (38 degrees F). Much higher temperatures will give a false reading.
• Be sure to hold onto the hydrometer tightly until it is floating on its own. A hydrometer released in sap can hit the bottom of the cup or pail and crack the glass. This is a VERY fragile instrument.
• When your sap hydrometer is floating read the number that is floating at the surface of the sample. This is your sugar content. Average ranges are from 2 to 3.5 percent.

Rule of 86:
Divide the sugar content of your sap (from your sap hydrometer) into 86 to find out how many gallons of sap it will take to make one gallon of Pure Maple Syrup.

Example: Sugar Content = 2.5
86 divided by 2.5 = 34.4 gallons
It will take 34.4 gallons of sap to make one gallon of Pure Maple Syrup from 2.5 percent maple sap.

Hydrometers are fragile, glass instruments. They must be handled very cautiously. We recommend that you keep a spare on hand in case of breakage.

DonMcJr
03-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Woo Hooo! My Sap Sugar Content is going up! I have about 25 Gallons right now and it's at 3.25% !!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a Video of me using my Sap Hydrometer for the 1st time!

http://youtu.be/4FLQzjTNVFc

wnybassman
03-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Nice!! I've only seen mine over 3% a couple times, and that was just off my one big yard tree. Sap mixed from all my trees I rarely see over 2 1/2%. Most of what I have boiled this year so far has been 1 3/4 to a little over 2%. I was dumping it the end of last year when it was reading 1% and less lol

Kind of nice to know what you got, that's for sure.

DonMcJr
03-23-2013, 11:45 PM
These are a Mix of all my trees too, half is from the Bucket taps and the other half is from my 15 tap tube line!

maple flats
03-24-2013, 07:01 AM
That is good, the best I ever had was 3.75 but that was just 1 day and most of those trees were large crown yard trees. Mine are now usually 2.0-2.2% and most are woods trees.
One thing that can give false readings is using the same cup as you test syrup in without making sure there is no sugar left in the hydrometer cup. My sap cup is just a 1.5" diameter pc of PVC pipe with a cap on one end. After use I rinse it with permeate to clean it and then store it upside down.

wnybassman
03-24-2013, 07:30 AM
lol My "sap cup" is either the 5 gallon bucket I collect in or the 15 gallon drums I store sap in.

maple marc
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey Don, here is the chart you are looking for:

For 38 degree calibrated sap hydrometer
32-46 degrees add .0 brix
47-56 degrees add .1 brix
57-61 degrees add .2 brix
62-64 degrees add .3 brix
65-68 degrees add .4 brix
69-72 degrees add .5 brix
73-75 degrees add.6 brix

You might check out this thread about sap hydrometers:

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?4274-Sap-hydrometer-temperature-compensation

Bottom line is I could not understand why my sap hydrometer would not read 0 in distilled water. I even sent mine back, they checked it and returned it to me. I still do not understand why you can't calibrate it in distilled water. Perhaps Dr. Tim can explain it to us.

Here is a way to check it, per Steve Childs:

Add 2 grams sugar to 98 grams water for a solution of 2 brix.

I hope your season is still going strong. Still good here in Ohio.

Marc

DonMcJr
03-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks Maple Marc!

Edit... For some reason it appears the folks who gave all the info on that thread are listed as Guests and info gone...

poorsaps
04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
After reading a few posts about sap hydrometers I decided to borrow my buddies and test it on my sap.

The temp out tonight is 22degrees and the high today was 33degrees, I have my buckets in my non-insulated/non-heated front porch.

My tree is a "city tree", its large.. it's old, its in a area with no other trees around it. Looks like its doing pretty good... I had a reading of 3.8-3.9

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/eighttrackbikes/saphydrometer_zps8f0bd196.jpg