PDA

View Full Version : # of taps for a 2x3?

chicken123
03-23-2013, 08:10 AM
I have a homemade 2x3 with preheater. firebricked, no blower, I think I'm getting about 8 gph. I can boil every 2 or 3 days if I need to. How many taps would it be able to handle? 100?

sugaringcrazy
03-23-2013, 08:26 AM
It all depends how much time you have to boil! I had 50 taps on a 2x3 my first year, and I had many long days! I wouldn't do more than 50 myself. Of course it depends on the season too. My first year was a big year. On a big day you can get 1-2 gallons per tap. So, with 100 taps you could maybe get 150 gallons during that day. 150/8= 18.75 hrs. If 100 gallons was your max in a day, which might be more accurate then it would be a 12.5 hr day. So, I would aim for fewer, unless you have all the time in the world!

325abn
03-23-2013, 09:01 AM
I concur, time time and more time is the depending factor. Right?

chicken123
03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
ok I guess I wouldn't have time for 100 maybe 50. How much would a AUF blower help my gph?

Maple Hunter
03-24-2013, 07:38 PM
50 taps would keep you more than busy in my opinion. But really depends on your trees and location. Many of the trees on our south slope will fill a 5 gal bucket in a single day, while others maybe half that. How quick your trees get sun will make a difference. I personally wouldn't even do 50 on a 2x3 without adding air or insulating it well. You have to keep a balance between your equipment and number of taps, otherwise what was once fun can turn into work real fast!

chicken123
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
thanks. Anyone know how much forced air would help my GPH?

marktripp
03-25-2013, 07:19 PM
My opinion to much sap is better than not enough. If you have any family or friends that do it you could always give some away. I have to wait for days to be able to boil, not fun. But your trees will be a big variance too.

chicken123
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
My opinion to much sap is better than not enough. If you have any family or friends that do it you could always give some away. I have to wait for days to be able to boil, not fun. But your trees will be a big variance too.

I agree not having enough sap is not fun:cry: I only have 25 trees tapped right now and I have to wait a long time to boil

michiganphil
03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
On a flat pan, I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 gal/hr per sq.ft of pan. You can add air all you want, but at a certain point the pan just can't accept any more heat and it will blow out the stack.
With a blower, and if you attend the fire pretty close, I would plan on averaging 8-10 gph for that pan.

1 gal per tap would be an average run, some days getting 2 or more. If you can only boil every 2-3 days like you stated, I wouldn't go more than 25 taps. That could make for 8-10 hour boils.

1 gal/tap x 25 = 25 gal/day. 8 hr boil @ 8 gal/hr= 64 gal. If you boil every 2 days you'll be just under 8 hours, every 3 days over 8 hours.

Bucksaw
03-26-2013, 08:40 AM
I have a very similar set up to yours, no blower either and am getting between 8 - 10 gph. I experimented with adding some air, just used a small desk fan, and had the same experiences as what michiganphil mentioned. I got a stronger boil for a little while but overall I think all it did was make me use more wood and a lot went up the stack. I added a damper to my stack this past weekend and put in a firewall in my arch...no fan, and I got pretty much the same boil rate but used about half the wood. Going to try adding some air again this weekend and move the firewall back a little bit to see if I can get a consistent 10. I currently have about 60 or 70 taps out (lost count) and have been waiting for a serious run. When it happens I think I will have way more than I can handle...got 20 gallons yesterday.

sg5054
03-28-2013, 11:44 AM
I put out 100 for my mason 2x3. Certainly didn't expect what I'm getting. I'm steppin' and fetchin' as fast as I can! I collected 80 on Tuesday night. Frequently averaging 40 daily. Currently have about 275 to boil. This is my first year with my mason so I've learned quite a bit. I will make a manifold preheater and a hood this summer. Smaller pieces of wood thrown in randomly not stacked. I will have used 3 cord by the time it is all done. Raised the arch from 5 inches to the pan bottom to 2. Mine is lined with 1" fire board tightly fitted and then bricked.
Lot busier than I thought I would be. I'll be looking forward to next season and better prepared.